Thread: Gas Block

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Gas Block

I just pulled the trigger on a 20" Lothar Walther barrel for a long range precision AR that will be scoped. Handguards are PRI Delta Carbon Fiber rifle length. The Lothar Walther uses a .750 gas block.

What would be a good gas block to use? I would prefer something that can be pinned. A standard FSB is not needed, although I am not against the idea of using one and cutting it down with a die grinder.

If anyone is interested, here are the parts so far:
    -LRB lower with Armalite LPK, Geisselle SSA-E trigger group and UBR stock set. Carbine buffer & spring. Magpull Miad grip
    -VLTOR MUR upper
    -PRI Delta rifle length carbon fiber handguards
    -Battlecomp 1.0
    -Lothar Walther 20" SS midweight barrel w/matched bolt (on order)

Parts Still to be Purchased
    -Bolt carrier TBD (considering the Fail Zero carrier)
    -Mod 4 Gunfighter charging handle
    -Gas tube
    -Gas block TBD
    -Scope, mounts & rings TBD

What are good gas blocks I should consider? What are my options?

Feedback Score
    I've got a Vltor low pro on mine. Very minimal. It's not pinned, but a quick trip to the smith could fix that.

Feedback Score
    Is your barrel dimpled? I recommend either a stainless vltor or centurion. Both can be pinned and if you plan on pinning it yourself, there's a pinning jig specifically designed for the vltor, while the centurion has flats milled on the both sides.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    Is your barrel dimpled? I recommend either a stainless vltor or centurion. Both can be pinned and if you plan on pinning it yourself, there's a pinning jig specifically designed for the vltor, while the centurion has flats milled on the both sides.
    Ya know, I didn't think to ask if it was dimpled or not. As far as pinning goes, Rainier Arms is about an hour from where I live.

How well does the jig work? Where can I find more information on it?

Feedback Score
    The jig is made by a member. Here's a link to his site.
    http://www.brdengineering.com/
    Rainier sells them IIRC, but since you live so close to them anyway, you might as well pay to get it done. It'll come out cheaper, and much less of a hassle on your part.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for that link...I may look into that jig for myself.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for the Vltor. LaRue and Daniel Defense make nice ones also, but I like the way the Vltor looks. I also use the BRD jig. I dimple, set screw with rocksett, and taper pin them. Overkill, but works every time.
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I didn't really notice the difference between my friends Vltor or my MI "cheap" gas block in terms of initial quality. I think they are made from different metal though so the Vltor GB will probably last longer.

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Yet another vote for the Vltor. I have one that has been pinned on one of my rifles. No issues with it nor do I think I will have any.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks, guys. Got the VLTOR low profile. Installation was stone simple. Just have to get it pinned