Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex Flash hider

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Many tests have shown it to be the clear number 2 muzzle device for flash suppression after the AAC blackout.
    Can you point to those tests?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    Vortex's also don't need crush washers, peel washes or rocksett. Al you do is screw it on and give a good twist. Its tines or flutes are angled so it self tightens as it fires.
    I always liked this.

Our film showed the Vortex to be better than the AAC using M855. We're not scientists so it was far from a perfect test. Sorry, I don't have the video to share.

The tuning fork sound won't bother you while you're shooting it. If it does, you're doing it wrong.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw View Post
    Can you point to those tests?
    I can't point to any single one as Ive seen a number of them over the last several yrs., but maybe my pal Google can.

eta...correction time....AAC makes a non QD blackout that is indeed about half the price.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-24-11 at 18:44.

Feedback Score
    I will say that from my testing and human eyes I could not tell a difference between the AAC and the Smith when it came to flash suppression. I will say that even as close as 5' away it is hard to pick out the flash even when looking for it. From the shooter perspective it is almost non existent in comparison to just your standard A2, that does a pretty good job.

I will say however that in person, the tuning fork effect was noticeably more pronounced (louder) on the AAC than the Vortex. About twice as loud. But these judgments are with my own uncalibrated eyes and ears.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    yea i have been pretty set on vortex and think i'm going to get one,..for installation all i need is,..the flash suppressor, a barrel clamp, a butane torch to head the existing flash suppressor, a wrench, and lock tight?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterChunker View Post
    I notice they both make a ringing sound. I wonder if its because of its design lol sounds like a tuning fork.
    I've smacked my Vortex a couple times going to and from the range and those are the only times I've noticed it. With earplugs in its negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterChunker View Post
    yea i have been pretty set on vortex and think i'm going to get one,..for installation all i need is,..the flash suppressor, a barrel clamp, a butane torch to head the existing flash suppressor, a wrench, and lock tight?
    All you need is the FH itself and a 3/4" wrench for installation. Of course it obviously helps to have the barrel secured in a vise for installation; however, I don't know why you need a torch to take off the old FH and no you don't need loctite with the Vortex.
    Last edited by Leonidas24; 02-24-11 at 20:04.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    All you need is the FH itself and a 3/4" wrench for installation. Of course it obviously helps to have the barrel secured in a vise for installation; however, I don't know why you need a torch to take off the old FH and no you don't need loctite with the Vortex.
    I was assuming the original was probably on there and the torch was to losen it up. I think my leo buddy has a co worker who has a barrel clamp, so i may be hitting him up soon.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would never buy one for a fighting/defense gun. The tines are too long and prone to bending.

They used to be bad about blooming after a number of rounds, but you don't read too much about that any more.

They have their place, I suppose... just not on any of my guns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I would never buy one for a fighting/defense gun. The tines are too long and prone to bending.

They used to be bad about blooming after a number of rounds, but you don't read too much about that any more.

Really? I haven't read anything about that, then again I didn't look. I want one for a defensive/survival purpose.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

The blackout or vortex?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast