Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 11.5 or 12.5 inc barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just get what fits your needs and what you want. For me personally that's a 10.5" MRP with a 16" 300BLK barrel for super quiet subsonic or packing more punch at range.

Vinson

Feedback Score
    What do you want to do with it? 12.5 is a bit easier on a suppressor, with a few more suppressor options (reflex). In addition to my reasons already given, a bit less noise and abuse on the suppressor were my other reasons. If you don't plan on a reflex suppressor, I think you are splitting hairs at this point. There is almost nothing a 12.5 can do that a 11.5 can't. There are fragmentaion concerns for the shorter barrels, but nothing in the CQB range for civillians. The 12.5 gives a bit more velocity for my planned 200 yard target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by will_dearborn919 View Post
    Well damn, I was kind of all set on an 11.5 but now y'all got me thinking about a 12.5. But I also have a 16" rifle, so if I'm going short, I might as well go 11.5 right? DAMNIT! WHAT TO DO!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    There are fragmentaion concerns for the shorter barrels, but nothing in the CQB range for civillians.
    Are you talking about damage to the suppressor? Not sure what you mean.

Feedback Score
    My 11.5" is like a dream with how the gun handles. You'll want to throw that 16" away if you aren't doing any longer range shooting.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    Are you talking about damage to the suppressor? Not sure what you mean.
    fragmenting rounds will lose fragmentation potential or performance once they drop below a certain velocity, generally around 2700fps. the shorter the barrel, the lower the exit velocity... a lot of hot loads will exit a 10.5" barrel at barely above their fragmentation threshold, meaning your load "effective range" is often inside 100m.

this problem can be mitigated by using soft-points and other non-fragmenting loads not as effected by impact velocity.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for your answer. I didn't realize there was so much critical info. concerning SBRs and Suppressors. If you just go out and buy what you think looks good, it could be somewhat less than effective in a number of ways. You really do have to take a hard look at the specific application in which you would be using it, before you take the leap. Especially with the time involved with an NFA weapon.

Feedback Score
    lots of info! I'm checking in because I'm looking into a SBR also.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will_dearborn919 View Post
    Well damn, I was kind of all set on an 11.5 but now y'all got me thinking about a 12.5. But I also have a 16" rifle, so if I'm going short, I might as well go 11.5 right? DAMNIT! WHAT TO DO!!
    Ya know, just when i "think" I've got my next rifle figured out...I come on here see a few pics, read a few threads and I'm right back to square 1 which one do i want now lol does any of this post make scene?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    What do you want to do with it? 12.5 is a bit easier on a suppressor, with a few more suppressor options (reflex). In addition to my reasons already given, a bit less noise and abuse on the suppressor were my other reasons. If you don't plan on a reflex suppressor, I think you are splitting hairs at this point. There is almost nothing a 12.5 can do that a 11.5 can't. There are fragmentaion concerns for the shorter barrels, but nothing in the CQB range for civillians. The 12.5 gives a bit more velocity for my planned 200 yard target shooting.

Well I'm probably not going go run a supressor on it. I will be keeping my 16" though, and probably put a suppressor on it, or even better, SPR it and slap a supressor on it. I'm probably just spitting hairs over it. Seeing how I have a medium range rifle as it is, so if I'm making an SBR, it might as well be short, but still be able to take something out up to 150 meters. And why I'm leaning towards the 11.5. My reasoning for the rifle is on the first page, sorry, I don't really feel like typing it all again. All of this information that all of you have been giving is very helpful, and I thank you. Keep it coming if y'all got any new opinions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123