Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut long M4 Colt AR15 barrel to short barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Cut long M4 Colt AR15 barrel to short barrel

Wondering if it would be feasible to cutdown a 16 inch M4 Colt barrel down to 12.5 inches? I was reading all of the threads referencing short NFA rifles and decided it was time to do something with my blank upper receiver.
    I would like to do a short barrel upper receiver project; a 10.5 and 11.5 inch barrel maybe too small for my taste. I like the idea of having the short barrel but also want the advantage of velocity, energy, and distance. I am looking for CQB, active shooter scenarios, and if I need to take out something up to 200-350 yds. ( I have other rifles that can reach out to 800 yds. if I needed them )
    The short 12.5 barrel makes sense. I know Colt doesn't make a 12.5 inch barrel; hence taking the long barrel and reducing it down. I would like to stick to Colt barrel as I have a registered Colt NFA lower receiver and my blank upper receiver is Colt M4. I would rather not mix and match manufacturers. ( Sorry guys...one stop shopping!) Does anyone know who can do the barrel reduction? Any opinions and advise is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    My advice is not to cut the Colt barrel. But, I sense that you will do it anyways. I would buy a Bravo Company 11.5" barrel and rebarrel your upper. You can offset the cost by selling your 6920 barrel assuming it is in proper shape and condition.

I have a BCM 11.5" that I built and it runs like a champ. Anyone who has seen it will attest to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Repr762 View Post
    Wondering if it would be feasible to cutdown a 16 inch M4 Colt barrel down to 12.5 inches? I was reading all of the threads referencing short NFA rifles and decided it was time to do something with my blank upper receiver.
    I would like to do a short barrel upper receiver project; a 10.5 and 11.5 inch barrel maybe too small for my taste. I like the idea of having the short barrel but also want the advantage of velocity, energy, and distance. I am looking for CQB, active shooter scenarios, and if I need to take out something up to 200-350 yds. ( I have other rifles that can reach out to 800 yds. if I needed them )
    The short 12.5 barrel makes sense. I know Colt doesn't make a 12.5 inch barrel; hence taking the long barrel and reducing it down. I would like to stick to Colt barrel as I have a registered Colt NFA lower receiver and my blank upper receiver is Colt M4. I would rather not mix and match manufacturers. ( Sorry guys...one stop shopping!) Does anyone know who can do the barrel reduction? Any opinions and advise is appreciated.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've done it. The threads will start just ahead of the M203 notch. While cost is higher, one advantage is that you know you will have perfect threads if you plan on mounting a suppressor.

I don't have a picture of the bare barrel because my I have a reflex suppressor, but since everybody loves pictures...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by beavo451 View Post
    I've done it. The threads will start just ahead of the M203 notch. While cost is higher, one advantage is that you know you will have perfect threads if you plan on mounting a suppressor.

Bullshit.

What proof do you have that threads will be concentric to the bore after a 3rd party aftermarket job over a high end factory job done on factory fixturing that is centered on the bore rather than the OD surface of the barrel?

The OP needs to replace the barrel with another barrel made at the factory to his desired length.

He can sell off the 6920 barrel and get a DD 12.5" and will maintain factory originality. It is also easier to do if you have the right tools.
    Last edited by scottryan; 03-01-11 at 09:10.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Bullshit.

What proof do you have that threads will be concentric to the bore after a 3rd party aftermarket job over a high end factory job done on factory fixturing that is centered on the bore rather than the OD surface of the barrel?

The OP needs to replace the barrel with another barrel made at the factory to his desired length.

He can sell off the 6920 barrel and get a DD 12.5" and will maintain factory originality. It is also easier to do if you have the right tools.
    The people that do my AR work don't pay dues to the UAW. But their work is perfect.

Feedback Score
    Bullshit.

The OP doesn't "need" to do anything other than what he wants to do.

There's a lot of guys that do quality barrel work, including chopping and threading them.
    Last edited by S-1; 03-02-11 at 01:59.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by S-1 View Post
    The OP doesn't "need" to do anything other than what he wants to do.

There's a lot of guys that do quality barrel work, including chopping and threading them.

He is the one that came on here asking what to do.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Bullshit.

Most places like ADCO do that already, Ill take threads cut by a guy running a machine over a mass producing factory job anyday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    Most places like ADCO do that already, Ill take threads cut by a guy running a machine over a mass producing factory job anyday.
    Same here. They did good work on one of my barrels.

Feedback Score

Wink

error
    Last edited by west9883; 03-02-11 at 01:48. Reason: nevermind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast