Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.5 or 12.5 inc barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

11.5 or 12.5 inc barrel?

Building an SBR, I'm leaning towards a 11.5 inch barrel, will an extra inch up to a 12.5 make that much difference? I've heard that when you go below 11.5 you start to see more reliability issues, and accuracy is greatly reduced. Will 1 inch + or - make that much difference? Now I know SBR's aren't long shot guns, but I would still like to keep some accuracy at distance. I'm new to the SBR world, but not to the AR world.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I have a 10.5in and a 12.5in. My 10.5in is just a standard cut rifled barrel. My build is a Mk18 Mod 1 style build. I use it for 150yd max as after that, you lose to much velocity.

My 12.5in is a BCM SS410 barrel that I built as a "patrol" gun. Running a 1-4x24 optic on it. Retains enough velocity out to 300-350 to be effective with the right ammo(read, NOT FMJ) like 68gr+ OTM or the 64gr Federal TRU or 64gr Winchester PSP Soft Point ammo or you can run 55gr Barnes TSX ammo(but thats exepensive).
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    "accuracy" is actually not effected by barrel length... there are plenty of 10.5" barrels that are significantly more accurate than a lot of 20" barrels.

but you do lose velocity, which equate to a higher ballistic arch, and generally less terminal performance at ranges beyond 100m, depending on the ammunition.

as far as reliability goes... 10.5s can be finicky, 11.5s generally seem to be less finicky, and 12.5s seems to be real solid performers- in quality barrels mixed with quality parts. but any SBR can be a headache to tune in.

what's your purpose for the weapon?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by will_dearborn919 View Post
    Building an SBR, I'm leaning towards a 11.5 inch barrel, will an extra inch up to a 12.5 make that much difference? I've heard that when you go below 11.5 you start to see more reliability issues, and accuracy is greatly reduced. Will 1 inch + or - make that much difference? Now I know SBR's aren't long shot guns, but I would still like to keep some accuracy at distance. I'm new to the SBR world, but not to the AR world.
    Accuracy wont be reduced by going below 11.5" with say a 10.5". The 10.5 is a little harsher on parts but you shouldn't see any reliability issues with a quality, properly built 10.5" so if you want a short gun, its still a viable option.

Ultimately, define the role that the weapon will serve and things become a bit clearer.

Also read around on the site. There are tons of discussions on SBR barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    I was debating between 10.5 and 11.5 for mine. I think I have decided on 11.5 for a little extra punch at slightly further distance

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry guys, I guess I was using the term "accuracy" a little loosely, I know that the length of the barrel doesn't affect accuracy, I guess bullet drop and energy is more what I'm looking for. I'm 60% using it for recreational use, 30% because I want something different, and other 10% because I like making stuff and the mechanical workings of an AR are just damn sexy to me and why the hell not. And as far as other threads on here, I just wanted some fresh opinions. Technology changes every day, and so do opinions.

Feedback Score
    I have an interest in building an SBR, so subscribing in for interest...

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    If you shoot someone at 300M with an 11.5" or a 12.5" do you think that they are going to know the difference? Do you think that you will really notice the difference in accuracy between two equal quality barrels? I doubt it.

Reliability issues arise with any SBR if you buy piece of shit guns or components. If you get quality then you won't have any problems.

Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I will agree that the difference between 11.5 and 12.5 is not going to make that much difference on the target down range. I just prefer the 12.5, you gain slightly more velocity, and with the extra inch reliability goes up even more.

But with 10.5, and maybe Im wrong, I just feel the loss of velocity is to great past 150yds to be AS effective as a 11.5 or 12.5
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My suggestion: If you're going to also use a suppressor I'd recommend a 10.5-11.5", if not I'd recommend the 12.5" it's a great size and easy to handle gun. Mine has a 11" Troy/VTAC tube on it and a Battlecomp 1.0
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast