Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight AR15 options

Feedback Score

Question Lightweight AR15 options

I am looking to buy an AR for my wife for her birthday (shhhh!). I want to get the lightest weight rifle possible for her. What options are out there for minimizing the wieght of the rifle and what is the lowest weight that I can practically and affordably achieve?

(This will be a plinking rifle so I am not concerned about mil-spec performance.)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just don't buy the carbon 15 junk.

Other than that you could do the cav-15 polymer lower. That plus a pencil barreled upper would be pretty light.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An out of the box 6520 or something similar should do the trick.

Feedback Score
    what do you have against the carbon 15 junk?

Feedback Score
    The Bushmaster superlight barrel assembly makes a HUGE difference in overall rifle weight. My dad has a varmint AR that has to be over 20 lbs, so I built him an Colt 653 Clone with a Bushmaster Superlight Barrel that's amazingly light.

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...A3F%2016SL.asp
    Last edited by Soulrack223; 09-13-07 at 18:03. Reason: Add Link

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Remember that as weight decreases, felt recoil and recovery time between shots increases.

With that said, the Colt 6520 is the best compromise of weight vs. quality available.

Feedback Score

under 5 lbs?

Rob S, Good point regarding recoil. I may buy a .22LR kit so that my wife can chew up ammo cheaply and without recoil.

I've seen specs from several manufacturers that say specific models weigh between 5 and 6 lbs. Is it possible/practical to have an AR weigh less than 5 lbs?

Also, in reference to Bushmaster's Carbon 15, anyone have any experience with these? Does anyone other than Bushmaster make polymer receivers?

Thanks!
    Jesus said, "I have come to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish it were already kindled!" - Luke 12:49

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast