Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR for 3-Gun

Feedback Score

AR for 3-Gun

I am really interested in getting into local 3-Gun matches and am having problems trying to narrow down AR' to use for this only. I want it to have a 18" stainless barrel with a muzzle break instead of a flash suppressor, and a round handguard. I have been looking at JP Rifles, Larue, etc... and I would like to get some input from guys/gals who shoot 3-Gun and see what they like and why?
    4%'er

“I'm the weapon, this is just a tool"
    -Michael Wilson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It really boils down to how far out you'll be shooting, here in VA/MD matches, most shooting is done inside of 300yds (most are within 200yds and in). 3gun is pretty popular in NC. In NC I've only shot 3gun at Blackwater and their side rifle matches. If you'll be shooting 300yds and beyond I'd recommend a 18-20" barrel for a flatter trajectory. Next year I want to shoot the CTI and the NC RECON match.

My 3gun rifle was pretty expensive to build and it's a work in progress built over the last 2yrs.

Bushy lower
    VLTOR E-mod stock kit
    Geissele trigger
    Power Custom large mag catch button
    Wilson Combat bolt catch
    Ambi-Catch(TM)
    KNS pins
    Harris bipod w/LaRue mount
    Tangodown grip
    VLTOR MUR1 upper
    Colt 1/2 circle unshrouded bolt carrier
    BCM bolt
    PRI gas buster charging handle
    RRA midlength bbl (chrome lined 1x9 twist, I shaved the FSB to fit under the FF tube)
    Flatland Forge F2 comp
    JP VTAC FF tube w/2 rails
    Aimpoint H1 w/ LaRue mount
    Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x 20mm
    LaRue SPR-E 30mm scope mount

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    My 3gun rifle was pretty expensive to build and it's a work in progress built over the last 2yrs.

Bushy lower
    VLTOR E-mod stock kit
    Geissele trigger
    Power Custom large mag catch button
    Wilson Combat bolt catch
    Ambi-Catch(TM)
    KNS pins
    Harris bipod w/LaRue mount
    Tangodown grip
    VLTOR MUR1 upper
    Colt 1/2 circle unshrouded bolt carrier
    BCM bolt
    PRI gas buster charging handle
    RRA midlength bbl
    Flatland Forge F2 comp
    JP VTAC FF tube w/2 rails
    Aimpoint H1 w/ LaRue mount
    Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x 20mm
    LaRue SPR-E 30mm scope mount
    Very nice rifle. What is the reason you have two different scopes on your rifle?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFighter View Post
    Very nice rifle. What is the reason you have two different scopes on your rifle?

The Aimpoint H1 is for close range targets (it's sighted in for POA/POI at 15yds), it's very fast and then I don't have to worry about hold over since the round will go low at close range. Sneaky course designers will sometimes make a very small (headshot or smaller) targets at 10-15yds. If you're not paying attention and use your primary optic you'll shoot under it (and completely miss). Or they'll set up targets in a way that a no-shoot is right in front of a headshot only target and, I've see people put two rounds right into the no-shoots head because they didn't know what their rifle would do at that distance.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    One decision is what division to compete in. Here's a brief (and incomplete) summary based on USPSA rules:

Limited - all iron sights, no compensators on pistols or SG.

Tactical - One optic on rifle, otherwise the same as Limited.

Open - Don't start in this division

Before you spend lots of money on gear, go shoot a few matches. You'll see what other people are using and what seems to work/not work.

A simple Aimpoint works very well for many local matches without really long shots (<100 yards). Any quality AR will do for now. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    the closest match around here goes from zero to 300 yrds and doesn't have any division that allows more than one optic. it's hard to find a single optic that works well for <20' and >150yrd

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    the closest match around here goes from zero to 300 yrds and doesn't have any division that allows more than one optic. it's hard to find a single optic that works well for <20' and >150yrd

No doubt. I run the Meopta 1-4x. It's a good "do everything" scope, but big and pricey. There's a thread on it I believe.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    it's hard to find a single optic that works well for <20' and >150yrd
    These are all good "single optic" options, depending on your budget:

Schmidt & Bender Short Dot
    Meopta 1-4
    Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4
    Mlillet DMS-1 1-4
    Weaver 1-3
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heijutsu View Post
    I am really interested in getting into local 3-Gun matches and am having problems trying to narrow down AR' to use for this only. I want it to have a 18" stainless barrel with a muzzle break instead of a flash suppressor, and a round handguard. I have been looking at JP Rifles, Larue, etc... and I would like to get some input from guys/gals who shoot 3-Gun and see what they like and why?
    You have the basic configuration down pretty good.

Here's my setup with an ACOG and JP SRTS.
    I shoot in tactical class which allows only one optic.

17.5" medium lightweight (0.700" under the handguards) stainless barrel.
    JP Low Mass carrier.
    Lightened A2 buffer with 1.6oz of reciprocal weight.
    Stag comp (very similar to MSTN QC) that I tuned for my rifle/ammo by adding holes on top until I had no muzzle jump.
    Trijicon TA01NSN ACOG is excellent past 25yds.
    JP SRTS (Short Range Tactical Sight) for 5-25yds.
    Under 5 yds, you just point the whole rifle.
    YHM customizable handguard chosen because I wanted to custom index the SRTS as close to the ACOG as I could and the JP only allows you to move in 45 degree steps when mounting accessories.
    Lightweight aluminum gas block loctited into detent on the barrel.
    Arredondo magazine well makes for faster mag changes.
    Jewel trigger set so light that it scares un-informed people.
    On the left side at the front of the handguard (not pictured) is a short section of rail that I mount a light on for night matches.
    My thumb tends to rest on this during the day.

It's not flashy and covered in products with logos engraved on them, but it works.
    In the end, it's the shooter that matters, not the gun.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    yeah, i'm shooting an acog (31-RCO model, which is pretty dang sweet for 50-500yrds, but in retrospect was the wrong choice) at the moment on one gun and i just bought an aimpoint micro T1 for the super-light gun i'm building, but haven't shot it yet (mostly because i'm still waiting on the barrel)

i was going to buy a short dot but after putting my hands on them at pat's memphis carbine class, i decided not to. i mean, they're kinda cool, but i still don't get what makes them deserve the reputation/cost they have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast