Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brush Gun... should I get a 308 AR?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    30-30 in an AR-15. That's what the 300 Blackout looks like to me. If you hunt in heavily wooded areas a good ole 30-30 is about as good as it gets. I think most people saying brush gun mean a gun for hunting in thick woods at close range not blasting off shots thinking they will power through the brush. At least I hope that's what is meant.

The 300's looking like a great round for that if they make the right hunting loads for it. Excluding SBR types, I think a AR style 308 is to heavy to be a good "brush gun" but that's just me.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Well, 30-30 is good, but the .35 Rem still rules

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ok, well if that's the case, I might need to look into a 6.8 upper.

I've kinda had my eye on that round since the (cringe) Future Weapons episode on the Barrett. (sorry! past life...)
    Ended up going with a .223/ 5.56 'cause it's cheaper to shoot.

Any ideas on good manufacturers for that particular upper?
    Last edited by Redneck19; 03-03-11 at 16:13.
    ...A country boy can survive...

Feedback Score
    Same are normal 5.56 uppers with a few new ones added.

I've heard good things about AR performance (sometimes I'm scared to make a recommendation, less the community pimpslap me--so be warned I AM NOT AN EXPERT), also
    DD
    Noveske
    BCM (I think they make a 6.8).

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post
    Same are normal 5.56 uppers with a few new ones added.

I've heard good things about AR performance (sometimes I'm scared to make a recommendation, less the community pimpslap me--so be warned I AM NOT AN EXPERT), also
    DD
    Noveske
    BCM (I think they make a 6.8).
    DD's 6.8 offerings are still pending mfg testing, and BCM doesn't make anything in 6.8.

Noveske makes great stuff, but all their 6.8 stuff uses stainless barrels only (no N4s in 6.8). Not a huge deal, but there it is.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMD View Post
    I won't argue with that!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMD View Post
    45-70, baby

Feedback Score
    By all means, buy a .308. Just don't buy it for a brush gun. I think I saw a list one time of about 30 different caliber uppers you can get for the AR15-size lower. Pretty much all the calibers that have succeeded in surviving the test of time have been mentioned already and any one of them is a good choice for short-range deer. Even (gasp) 223/5.56 WITH THE RIGHT BULLET.

But once you've filled your desire for the light brush gun-TREAT YOURSELF TO A .308 AR. You've only 1 life to live and you deserve the sheer pleasure of a good AR10-type rifle. Just go out and shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrmn View Post
    By all means, buy a .308. Just don't buy it for a brush gun. I think I saw a list one time of about 30 different caliber uppers you can get for the AR15-size lower. Pretty much all the calibers that have succeeded in surviving the test of time have been mentioned already and any one of them is a good choice for short-range deer. Even (gasp) 223/5.56 WITH THE RIGHT BULLET.

But once you've filled your desire for the light brush gun-TREAT YOURSELF TO A .308 AR. You've only 1 life to live and you deserve the sheer pleasure of a good AR10-type rifle. Just go out and shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

I know...!

I like the 30-30, but... I just know I'm going to be overun by mutant ninja coyotes while I'm deer hunting.

Thanks for all the pointers, guys.
    Last edited by Redneck19; 03-15-11 at 13:22.
    ...A country boy can survive...

Feedback Score
    Have a DPMS Oracle in .308, 16 " barrel, shoot 168 gr...You will not have a problem with deer ,pigs ,etc...would not trade it for anything.. I also have a Bushy 5.56..its just a shooters pref..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast