Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Nichols View Post
The statement in red is backwards. 416R is easier to machine than the chromoly steels.
Well, I would say that which is "easier" (between chromo and 416) has a lot to do with the experience and preference of the machine operator, as well as what type of machine is being used -- but yes, many will say that they prefer to work with 416 vice 4150...

...but that is not what I said.

I maybe should make it clearer though: Metals are (loosely) rated with a "machinability rating" -- and the base for this rating (1.0) is free machining carbon steel, alloys can be much lower on the scale, right off the top of my head, I think that 41XX is down around .50-.60 and 416R is well above that in the .80s?

But, as this is a primer, I just thought I would make the general statement that 416 machines nearly as well as carbon steel, rather than say that it has a rating of .85 (or whatever)... then we are off on free machining additives and resulfurization, chip control, inclusions and break points, and then the door is opened to the dreaded sulfur stringers and then night of the living sulfur stringers and then...

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Nichols View Post

Great write up!
Thanks!