Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Barrels 101

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    That is correct. 1/7 is sort of a catch all for heavy bullets in the 70 gr range and above and works with bullets on down to 55 gr. Less than 55 gr though and you're approaching the threshold of over-stabilization
    That's why I prefer 1/8 twist. They can handle the whole spectrum of mag length loads. My precision barrel is 1/8, but it's pretty tough to find a chrome lined 1/8 barrel for some reason.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That is NOT correct. Bullet weight has little to do with the twist needed to stabilize the bullet. It's bullet LENGTH. A short round nosed bullet can weigh as much as a long pointy bullet and need less twist to stabilize. A bullet with a lead core will weigh more than a bullet of the same shape made of solid copper and both will need the same twist
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    That is correct. 1/7 is sort of a catch all for heavy bullets in the 70 gr range and above and works with bullets on down to 55 gr. Less than 55 gr though and you're approaching the threshold of over-stabilization
    Bullets are either stabil or they are not. You can cause a bullet to break up from to fast of a twist rate in a barrel. But you can not over stabilize a bullet. Over stabilization is an oxy moron.How can something be to stabil.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    That's why I prefer 1/8 twist. They can handle the whole spectrum of mag length loads. My precision barrel is 1/8, but it's pretty tough to find a chrome lined 1/8 barrel for some reason.
    You should be looking at SIONICs, MAMA!! That's their barrel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    That is NOT correct. Bullet weight has little to do with the twist needed to stabilize the bullet. It's bullet LENGTH. A short round nosed bullet can weigh as much as a long pointy bullet and need less twist to stabilize. A bullet with a lead core will weigh more than a bullet of the same shape made of solid copper and both will need the same twist
    And typically, the heavier the bullet, the longer it is... of course there are exceptions to every rule.

Theoretically, a 1/8 can shoot the longer/heavier bullets and the shorter/lighter bullets without the worry of spinning them apart. In the end, both 1/7 and 1/8 will work for what is typically put through an AR.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 03-07-14 at 09:07.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    And typically, the heavier the bullet, the longer it is... of course there are exceptions to every rule...
    The AR is not the only rifle in the world and the 5.56 is not the only caliber. A 90 gr 22 caliber bullet is longer and requires a tighter twist to stabilize it than a 90 gr 30 caliber bullet. It's not weight, it's length- or more accurately, it's the length to diameter ratio. Round balls typically stabilize with about a 1:22 twist, even the massive 4 bore throwing a quarter pound of lead. That's much heavier than a 90 gr 22 caliber bullet
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-07-14 at 09:54.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the intrusion…… If my memory on interior ballistics is correct, I believe its more accurately the bearing surface of the projectile, not its weight or length that would require a specific twist to stabilize. The ogive and boat tail wouldn't matter. Although I cannot reference it, I believe this is why we have the 1x7 twist for the M16 series. It isn't the M855 62 gr projectile, but rather, the M856, which is the same weight, but has a much greater bearing surface, requiring a tighter twist rate to stabilize. Hence, cross compatibility of all our ammunition across platforms- M16 series and M249 saw.

Thanks for listening.

Artyman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by artyman View Post
    but rather, the M856, which is the same weight, but has a much greater bearing surface, requiring a tighter twist rate to stabilize.
    Have you ever seen one of those projectiles out of the brass? They are CRAZY long.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Ok. Thanks. Is there a chart somewhere that breaks down the rate of twist in relation to the weight/length or surface area of the bullet?
    Last edited by lre433; 03-17-14 at 07:05.

Feedback Score
    I have been trying to build my knowledge on barrels and until now, thought chrome lined was the best for durability. I have just been reading some posts about Melonite treated/coated barrels. This process seems to be gaining popularity. What can you tell me about Melonite barrels? Thanks...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast