Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Drop In" Pinned Low Profile GB

Feedback Score

"Drop In" Pinned Low Profile GB

I have searched and have not found this so I thought I would ask.

Does anyone make a low profile gas block designed like a "shaved" FSB?
    Or in other words, is there a "drop in" pinned option available that doesn't need modification to the block or the barrel?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I don't think it would be possible. The location of the pins on a FSB is different on every rifle. (i.e. you cannot take the FSB off of one rifle and put it on another) Now I'm sure someone somewhere found two that were close enough, and got it to work, but as a general rule, they are not interchangeable.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    OK. I didn't realize that but I had considered it in the realm of possibilities.
    I could not otherwise understand why no one would make something like this.
    Now I'm wondering how different the specs are between manufactures.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the links. Can you not use the taper pins from the FSB?

I'm assuming the next more secure method would be set screws and dimple the barrel(?).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah you can reuse pins just in case one runs away from ya its good to know where to get spares.

Feedback Score
    taper pins are drilled into the barrel with the fsb in place. they are unique to each barrel, your best bet would be a clamp on gas block if you dont want to modify your barrel

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How are taper pins drilled in? I have only seen fixtures used to drill or milling machines. In either case the fsb/gb is not in place.

Sure there are many ways to do this so dont take it as a pissing contest just wondering how else it can be done.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    taper pins are drilled into the barrel with the fsb in place. they are unique to each barrel, your best bet would be a clamp on gas block if you dont want to modify your barrel
    I can't believe they have not standardized this in a platform that's know for its interchangeability.

From what I've read there are some concerns about clamping the block but I have not found any posts claiming actual failures.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    By the time you've re-drilled and re-reamed for a new gas block, you've got as much time and labor invested as simply shaving your existing front sight.

But I agree that pinned gas blocks are the correct way to go. Clamps and set screws are strictly bush league.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast