Thread: Saiga handguards on non-Saiga AKs

Feedback Score

Saiga handguards on non-Saiga AKs

Will a Saiga handguard fit on a standard AK? I like the Saiga handguard because it's longer than the stock AK handguards, but I can't find much information about whether the two are compatible with each other. If they are not compatible, would Saiga-conversions like the Arsenal rifles still accept the stock Saiga handguard?

The goal is something that gives me more room to grab the rifle and somewhere I can mount a light. I'm not against drilling holes for a light mount, and so far as I can tell Saiga handguards are a lot lighter than AK rails. If this approach is misguided or ill-informed, I'm all ears.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Saiga handguards have a small tab at the back end that slips into the receiver and is held in place by a short screw. The rifle also has a metal cross bar up front that holds the handguard in place by locking into some grooves in the inner part of the grip. Im sure it could be modified to fit, but I doubt it will work 'out of the box'

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine built an AMD shorty a few years back when you could get the kits for under $100, and decided he wanted a Saiga handguard on it. He got it to work, and I really liked the look and feel of it (it actually covered the gas block, coming almost to the brake), but he had to drill a hole through the handguard and fasten it on with a bolt. I'll see if I can get some pics from him.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Saiga handguards are attached with a screw on the front. What I think you'd have to do is drill and tap the bayonet lug (and possibly truncate it so the handguard is parallel to the barrel) for a secure fit. It's also possible that you'd have to take off the front sling swivel or clear out an area on the Saiga handguard. I haven't done one though so I'm just thinking out loud. (I've done the reverse many times, however)
    Last edited by Dave_M; 07-20-11 at 12:38.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    The feedback is definitely appreciated guys, and if you could get pics LHS that would be awesome. If it's not especially frustrating I won't worry about getting a Saiga base gun. I just hope the Saiga handguards manage heat well.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I saw this link a while back, a guy fitting a FAL handguard to his AK.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73875

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good post over at ARFCOM. Guy does a how to for the AMD-65. Hope it helps you.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_77/135241_.html&page=1