Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok kit buyers, would you do it the same if you could redo

Feedback Score

ok kit buyers, would you do it the same if you could redo

I'm about to buy the lee classic turret kit, 223 die, double disk, riser, digi scale. Let's say about 230.00.

I was wondering for the guys that bought a"kit" of you could have redo, would you just piece together your own kit from different manufacturers or whatever.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Ante up for a Dillon RL550b, Dillon accessories, and never look back. That's what I did and I can't imagine doing it differently. (Besides getting a 650 or a 1050 )
    Last edited by Eric D.; 01-15-14 at 20:16.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The first reloader I bought was a Lee progressive reloader for pistol ammunition. The best day that I owned it was the day I gave it away. I should have spent a little more money and purchased a Star, RCBS or Dillon reloader.
    Last edited by T2C; 01-15-14 at 20:27.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I don't know what is included in the kit you are buying, but if you are buying anything made by Lee go to FS Reloading. They have the lowest prices around that I have found. I picked up that same press for under a hundred bucks there. There are a bunch of Lee products that I have tried and I think are junk, but for the intended purpose that press actually works very well. It's an auto-indexing turret press, not a progressive. I think their progressives are crap. The press, riser, powder measure, double disc kit and dies are all you would need. Personally I haven't found an electronic scale that I trust. If you are only checking with charge weights with it, get a decent beam scale (even a used one). The Lee beam scale is a piece of junk, by the way, from my experience.

With all that being said, if you can afford Dillon stuff go for it - you can't lose. The first Dillon press I ever used was a Sqaure Deal B for pistol reloading and I fell in love with it. If you absolutely can't afford to get into a Dillon setup, the Classic Turret is really pretty damned good for the money.

Feedback Score
    Well damn, I trust what y'all say is true. I may just wait till tax time and get the dillon. I'll check some vids see how those operate. I know everything Dillon comes at a premium, but I'm a firm believe quality over quantity.

Btw, I thought the square B only does pistol? Why can't it do rifle, too short?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skt4271 View Post
    Well damn, I trust what y'all say is true. I may just wait till tax time and get the dillon. I'll check some vids see how those operate. I know everything Dillon comes at a premium, but I'm a firm believe quality over quantity.

Btw, I thought the square B only does pistol? Why can't it do rifle, too short?
    You guessed it. The Square Deal B does not have enough room for rifle brass and an unseated bullet to fit.

I own one Square Deal B and a RL550. If I had to do it over again, I would have two Square Deal B reloaders set up for the calibers I shoot the most and single stage equipment to reload rifle ammunition.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I bought the RCBS Rock Chucker kit and it has served me well. If I was going to buy a new single stage press I would get a Forester Co-Ax press, not having to deal with switching shell holders in the press appeals to me. I later bought a case prep center to speed up the process of trimming, chamfering and cutting the primer crimp out of the cases.
    If I was going to seriously get into reloading pistol ammunition a progressive or turret press would save a lot of time.

Feedback Score
    I pieced together my kit. Tons of research, trying to spend my money wisely. Buy once, cry once. I load 300blk on a Forster CoAx press and dies. Love it. I loaded 300 rounds today on a friend's Dillon 550. Absolutely fabulous. Single stage, Forster rocks. Progressive, Dillon can't be beat.

Feedback Score
    My Hornady AP. No "kit" available, but add a scale, dies, and some measuring gear and you are off and running.

Untitled by zweitakt250, on Flickr
    John

If you spend much time around the guys who really, really know their craft, and who truly live this stuff, you tend to find that they are very soft-spoken and modest -- almost to the extreme. To my mind, that is a model worthy of emulation

AC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have the RCBS Rock Chucker kit (Basic). There are three things in this kit that I chose in my research: the press itself, the hand priming tool, and the 5-0-5 scale. Having used various scales, I came to the conclusion that I would not be comfortable with any digital scale that was in my price range. I have found the hand priming tool to be very nice, and nothing needs to be said about the press besides "Rock Chucker". With these 3 items, their individual cost added up was more than I paid for the kit. The kit comes with sundry other goodies including the Uni-Flow powder measure, de-burring/chamfering tool, case lube, funnel, etc. In other words, I got everything I was looking for, plus ~$100 of extra stuff with no added cost.

No one can answer this question for someone else. Simply add up the cost of the items in the kit which you would otherwise buy, and decide if you are paying for things that you will not use. If you have never reloaded, then I encourage you to seek out someone who is local to you who is willing to show you around their setup and get a feel for some different designs before you spend money on something which you aren't comfortable with or that doesn't meet your requirements. This is what I did when I got started- I learned what I did not like, but I also learned what worked for me.

Reloading is fun, but addicting. In order to maintain the economical advantages of reloading, strive to make well-informed decisions and resist impulse buying.
    In Memomoria Mei Fratris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast