Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Shooting steel targets dangerous?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That's a real nice set up. I guess those are paper targets on the round bales?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    That's a real nice set up. I guess those are paper targets on the round bales?

No they are steel on stands. Not very good targets honestly.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    My home range.
    Beautiful.

My setup may not be ideal as far as steel type or gong frames but, it works for me and it was free.
    Free always trumps all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    My home range.

8" (3/4" tk) and 13" (1 1/4" tk) gongs @ 100yds
    13" gongs @ 200 & 300yds
    All ductile iron blind flanges

The only rounds that really create a significant crater on these are the 5.56 M193 and the 7.62 M80 at 100 yds. The 100yd steel doesn't see these rounds very often.

5/16" steel plate (unknown type) embedded in the ground @ 440yds.

Little ill effect from any 5.56 or 7.62 round @ 440yds. I shot it with M193 soon after putting it up @ 200yds and it produced a nipple on the backside any woman would be proud to own. It is a static target and doesn't get shot any closer than 440yds now.

My setup may not be ideal as far as steel type or gong frames but, it works for me and it was free.
    That range is awesome. Key is your shooting DOWN. Gives a great view.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Thank you gentlemen. We're lucky to have our place.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011