Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting steel targets dangerous?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sabresbrs View Post
    I was more concerned about the 30 cal bullets penetrating more than the 556. Guess I learned a hard lesson. Wonder if the 556 would penetrate out of my SBR? I will find out tomorrow hopefully.

They will.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    What do you mean the opposite happened?

And I assure you... I know what my gongs are. I've been doing this a little while.
    Opposite as the green tipped penetrated more. There is no way M193 went right through AR500 plate.

In my experience M855 does far more damage then M193. Upon repainting I can see and feel where M855 hit, I cannot tell where M193 hit.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I shoot with markm several times a month and I can assure that is the case. I didn't believe it either.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteGrim View Post
    Opposite as the green tipped penetrated more. There is no way M193 went right through AR500 plate.

In my experience M855 does far more damage then M193. Upon repainting I can see and feel where M855 hit, I cannot tell where M193 hit.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Ok guys i see that I need to invest in some AR500 targets. I live in Georgia so keep this in mind when calculating shipping... Where is the cheapest place on the net to buy AR500 targets? Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Where is the cheapest place on the net to buy AR500 targets? Any suggestions?
    I've always bought from Quality Targets and have no complaints. Wideners appears to have good prices and I hear they're very reliable.

I have never shot one, but the Evil Roy (Action Targets) line usually gets high marks. I looked at those awhile ago and at that time it didn't appear that you could get the head in 1/2 inch AR500. I want to be able to put a lot of 5.56 rounds on these targets from distances as close as 50 yards, but maybe you'd find Evil Roy would be suitable for you.
    Last edited by Hmac; 03-26-11 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteGrim View Post

I actually did a side by side comparison of M193 and M855 on AR450 targets at 45 yards. Both shot with a 20" musket. This was years back and the photos were hosted on ARF's server... thus, they're lost.

Anyway. M193 pocked the metal about twice as deep as M855.

I assure you we sheared a hole in AR500 plate. It wasn't penetration. It was metal failure in the gong. A plug of the gone got pushed out the back side. The direct result of shooting M193 on 500 at under 50 yards.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Where is the cheapest place on the net to buy AR500 targets? Any suggestions?
    Hmac gives good suggestions. If you can fashion your own stand, you'll save money by just buying the actual gong.

Pappabear, here, has some nice MGM (i think) targets that hang off of a 2X4 shaft that sticks in MGM's stand. They angle the bullet splatter right into the ground... I'm sure they're pricey though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I actually did a side by side comparison of M193 and M855 on AR450 targets at 45 yards. Both shot with a 20" musket. This was years back and the photos were hosted on ARF's server... thus, they're lost.

Anyway. M193 pocked the metal about twice as deep as M855.

I assure you we sheared a hole in AR500 plate. It wasn't penetration. It was metal failure in the gong. A plug of the gone got pushed out the back side. The direct result of shooting M193 on 500 at under 50 yards.
    We shoot mostly .223, but periodically we'll (Bomb Squad) get a bunch of surplus XM193 for destruction and we usually will destroy a lot of it through various rifles (excellent malfunction drill material ). No question that it's harder on the AR500, but we don't have any craters, plugs, or divots on any of the 1/2 inch stuff.

There is a wide variability in what various places call "AR500".

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i just found an ad in the local craigslist section for "stock steel, $.30/lb" and advertise many shapes and size, including plate... assuming they have good size 3/8"+ plate, what are the odds likely cheap scrap steel can handle rifle rounds at 100m?

that'd be like $20 for a 2x2 plate of 3/8". $5 for 1x1 chunks of the same, for pistolio.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    ... assuming they have good size 3/8"+ plate, what are the odds likely cheap scrap steel can handle rifle rounds at 100m?
    For .223/5.56, I'd be pretty confident that the odds are zero.

It would be good for pistol, though.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast