Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Shooting steel targets dangerous?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Your target is exactly what I need, your shipping solution is very well thought out and a great benefit to your targets...I suggest others go to the DVC website and watch the rifle targets clip.

I'm strongly considering picking up a 8" model, how close can you shoot the plate from? I'd like to be able to occasional bring it in close to 50yds and have it still resist the 55 gr. fmj's.

Whether I pull the trigger or not I salute you on making from all appearances a great steel target solution for the budget conscience shooter.
    I just tried their site. Didn't work. A bunch of advertisements for godaddy and other stuff. Maybe because I'm on an iPhone?....
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    The DVC Targets web site is down for at least another six weeks or so. If you need information or would like to order something, just PM me.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    I recently purchased a couple of AR500 steel silhouette. 1/2 inch thick. I noticed when I was hanging one of them to a frame with some chain, that my mounting hardware was attracted to edges of the target. I started checking and it appears that the upper edges of the target where the metal had been cut had become magnetized. Only about an inch or so into the metal from the cut was magnetized. Not the center of the target. You can see in the picture where the metal washer is attracted. I haven't tried the target out at the range yet so I can't say if the edges will hold up as well as the center of the target with bullet strikes.

I tried searching M4C and google but could not find anything related to this subject. Has anybody else run across this before? Should I have concerns about shooting this particular target?
    IMAG0112.jpg

Feedback Score
    Now that this thread has been resurrected, MY shop build my targets from 1.25 inch armor plate. They also went overboard with the target stands using 4" square tubing. Man those targets are heavy. Hope I don't have to move them but once.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eperk View Post
    Now that this thread has been resurrected, MY shop build my targets from 1.25 inch armor plate. They also went overboard with the target stands using 4" square tubing. Man those targets are heavy. Hope I don't have to move them but once.
    Wow. That's going to be a heavy target. For long range (800 yards or more) we, without a doubt, like 1/4" Gongs. They react and ring so much better. 500 and in, and 3/8" is needed or the gongs start getting concaved and dented.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You guys should see this Gong that Pappabear was given. I'll try to get a pic of it. The overall design is pretty good... but you can tell when a guy doesn't know shit about gongery. The actual target is 1" thick... which raised immediate red flags. But we took it out anyway.

That gong steel is almost as soft a butter. We shot it a 200 yards and there are literally .223 bullet cores stuck into the steel. Even the .308 craters this thing. We were going to try to shoot our way through it, but it got a little sketchy when a frag flew back towards us.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eddies66 View Post
    I recently purchased a couple of AR500 steel silhouette. 1/2 inch thick. I noticed when I was hanging one of them to a frame with some chain, that my mounting hardware was attracted to edges of the target. I started checking and it appears that the upper edges of the target where the metal had been cut had become magnetized. Only about an inch or so into the metal from the cut was magnetized. Not the center of the target. You can see in the picture where the metal washer is attracted. I haven't tried the target out at the range yet so I can't say if the edges will hold up as well as the center of the target with bullet strikes.

I tried searching M4C and google but could not find anything related to this subject. Has anybody else run across this before? Should I have concerns about shooting this particular target?
    IMAG0112.jpg
    Use steel core rounds..... It'll be easier to hit.

You should be fine.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... just shoot the target.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Wow. That's going to be a heavy target. For long range (800 yards or more) we, without a doubt, like 1/4" Gongs. They react and ring so much better. 500 and in, and 3/8" is needed or the gongs start getting concaved and dented.
    I typically shoot 200 yards on a given day. I also use 3/8 and it isn't a problem with .223. However my .308 was cratering it pretty heavily. I made the mistake of showing that gong to the guys in the shop. These guys are of the bigger is better school. That's how I ended up with the 1.25" plate. Haven't tried it yet. Hope I can hear it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    200 yards will be fine. It's when you get out past 500 and beyond where it starts getting hard to hear. And it depends on the wind and atmospheric conditions too.

The spot we shoot now is closed to motorized vehicle. So we have to hand truck our friggin gong 1050 yards. You can bet weight is critical for that pain in the ass.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast