Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To build or to buy a FAL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

To build or to buy a FAL

I'm interested in obtaining a FAL. But the question is do I build my first or buy? Anyone been in a similar situation? The extent of my gunsmithing knowledge is doing AR builds so I don't know if this is a whole new ballgame or even a new sport. I've been reading FALfiles and the threads tacked here but I would like some fresher input. What would be the best route to enter the FAL world.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You missed the FAL building boat by a good 10 years or more.

With the ban on importation of barrels and receivers, there aren't many affordable decent kits left.

You can buy an Imbel (Brazil, licensed FN producer) build from DSArms for $1K, which will have the original hard chrome lined barrel, and lifetime warranty, with all compliant parts, and professionally built and finished by people who know what they're doing.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...fle&groupid=11

Compare that to the price of buying the kit, receiver, and compliant parts, and it's a no brainer to just buy one already built.

http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-Metri...tinfo/0291CHC/

http://www.dsarms.com/Imbel-Kit-Good...tinfo/IMBELKT/

Hope that helps.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I still think the best FAL bang for the $$$ is the Springfield SAR 4800... If you shop around you can find them in excellent shape for a little over a grand...

Give this a read... LINK

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    You can buy an Imbel (Brazil, licensed FN producer) build from DSArms for $1K, which will have the original hard chrome lined barrel,
    Is it a chrome-lined barrel or just a chrome-lined chamber?
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Slick371 Guest
    That's a great price for a FAL! I'll be ordering one soon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess that comes with my youth. I was looking to build a PARA but i guess I'll just bite the bullet and come up wiht the scratch.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Is it a chrome-lined barrel or just a chrome-lined chamber?
    In re-reading I've got to say chrome chambers.

As Buck said, if you can find an excellent condition/nib Springfield Armory SAR-4800 for $1100-$1300, that's something to jump on.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    looking around at threads it seems there are plenty of boats ive missed

Slick371 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by memphisjim View Post
    looking around at threads it seems there are plenty of boats ive missed
    Me too! BTW- hello from Collierville

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

With the ban on importation of barrels and receivers, there aren't many affordable decent kits left.
    Pretty much this. Due to the price of quality parts kits and receivers, it's just not really cost effective anymore. A FAL build is also a bit more complicated than snapping together an AR...You'll need receiver wrenches, barrel blocks, a big vice, and perhaps other tools that will add a lot of cost to the project, especially when you're just planning on building one. As with ARs, though, the one benefit of building is that you end up with intimate knowledge of how the rifle went together. Of course, there's enough collected knowledge here and on the FALFiles that you shouldn't have any problem finding help fixing issues you may run into with a FAL you purchase.

In the end, I think you'd be better off getting something from DSA or finding a gently used rifle that was built by a skilled FAL-smith such as ARS. It'll be cheaper, it'll hold its value better, and you probably won't have to screw with it to get it running right. You can take the money you would have put into build tools and frustration and use that to get some spare parts or ammo...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast