Thread: SLR 105 or 106 or 107 CR?

Feedback Score

SLR 105 or 106 or 107 CR?

Hello,
    I am looking to buy a rifle the ak1xx style to sbr and set up for carbine course. I can get a slr -106 and 107 cr off of gunbroker etc... The 105 would have to be a custom job. I have had Ak's in 7.62 and 5.45 cal and guns in 5.56. The main difference for me would be the 7.62 and 5.56 would be about 300 to 500 cheaper for the rifle because it is off the shelf' but 5.45 ammo is cheaper.
    So the question is to set up a modern ak like Templar / larry vickers... which would you choose and why?
    Thanks
    Tom

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are you planning to use it for just a class or also for personal defense?

I have owned 12.5" barrel SBR AKs (107CR length) in 5.45, 5.56, and 7.62.

If I were to choose only one for all around use (courses, competition, and possible defense use) it would be the 7.62 version. Mags & ammo are relatively inexpensive. It has been completely reliable with many different mags & ammo types. My chrono data shows the 7.62x39 round velocity loss in the 12.5" barrel is about 200 fps compared to the 16" barrel.

My 5.56 version is completely reliable (custom built from a Saiga 5.56 rifle), but mags are more expensive. Ammo can be more expensive than 7.62x39, but usually steel cased 5.56 is not much more expensive than steel cased 7.62x39. The velocity loss with 5.56 ammo in the 12.5" barrel (compared to a 16" barrel) is about 300 fps for 55 grain M193 ammo. That puts the muzzle velocity at about 2,850 fps from the 12.5" barrel (in mine anyway). The Black Hills 77 grn BTHP ammo I've fired through it had an average muzzle velocity of 2,387 fps. I also have had a SLR-106FR ("full size" 5.56 AK from Arsenal). It initially had feeding problems and was finicky about which mags would work with complete reliability. The SLR-106FR is the only AK I have ever owned that was finicky about mags. Based on this and similar experiences others have had, a 5.56 AK (as generally available in to the US consumer) would be my least favorite choice for a defensive rifle. I'm NOT saying 5.56 are unreliable or unsuitable, just that they would be MY least favorite choice as currently generally available to the US consumer.

The 5.45 caliber 12.5" rifle has been completely reliable. Mags and ammo are cheap. The rifle would probably be more expensive (as you noted since it would have to be custom built). Less recoil than the 7.62 version, but also less muzzle energy than the 7.62 version. I looked through my chrono data and couldn't find any for the 12.5" 5.45 rifle, so I don't know the velocity loss compared to a 16" barrel. For paper punching, the 5.45 is fine and has minimal recoil. For defensive purposes, I don't really know it's capability. Live fire demos I have seen showed that it doesn't penetrate standard building materials nearly as well as the 7.62 round. Maybe a consideration if you're looking to use for defensive purposes.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    One thing to consider if you're going to be using it for classes.....if you get to a shoot house, you're going to need frangible ammo, which is only available in 5.56mm that I know of.

Otherwise, I'd also go with the SLR-107CR in 7.62x39mm.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    One thing to consider if you're going to be using it for classes.....if you get to a shoot house, you're going to need frangible ammo, which is only available in 5.56mm that I know of.

Otherwise, I'd also go with the SLR-107CR in 7.62x39mm.
    Id like a 106cr but I can't find one. I check gunbroker for all the slr guns...but no luck so far.
    The 107's come up.from time to time.
    Last edited by ATTom; 03-17-11 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Don't know where you are, OP, but Virginia Arms has an SLR-106UR in stock (or at least did a little while ago) on their Facebook page. It's a factory SBR, if you like the Krinkov configuration.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ATTom View Post
    Id like a 106cr but I can't find one. I check gunbroker for all the slr guns...but no luck so far.
    The 107's come up.from time to time.
    A new in box 107CR recently sold on GB for $800.00....as usual I was a day late and a dollar short.

Cheers
    Life is like a shit sandwich...the more bread you have the less shit you have to eat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_f View Post

I have owned 12.5" barrel SBR AKs (107CR length) in 5.45, 5.56, and 7.62.
    Thanks for the detailed narrative. Do you still currently own all three?

Cheers
    Life is like a shit sandwich...the more bread you have the less shit you have to eat.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyhoohaw View Post
    A new in box 107CR recently sold on GB for $800.00....as usual I was a day late and a dollar short.

Cheers
    Ouch. This will be my next rifle purchase if I can find one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I own a -105CR clone and Arsenal -107CR that had the barrel chopped to 12.5" after getting papered. The -107CR is more fun to shoot. With the length of the "Krink" flash hiders, you really don't save that much length over a 16" AK with a slant muzzle device. I have a "beer can" on the -107CR and it makes the gun immensely controllable and enjoyable, but it's heavy.

I've never owned a 5.56 AK, nor had any desire to.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyhoohaw View Post
    Thanks for the detailed narrative. Do you still currently own all three?

Cheers
    You're welcome. Yes, I still have all three 12.5" barrel AKs. I like this size AK the best. Even "AK-haters" seem to like to shoot them.