Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forming brass for 300 AAC

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I was concerned about the same thing with simply resizing 223 Rem brass to make 300 AAC brass. I use a Giraud power trimmer and actually sent Doug the specs for the chambering reamer to have a 300 AAC case head made. I'm still waiting to hear back from him but he said he was going to think it through.

Possible solutions are a flat cutter to cut to a certain length and then back it up with the V cutter to finish it off.

After seeing the Remington brass head out of the shop though, I'm actually more interested in tracking that down here in short order. Still would like the Giraud case head though......
    "Because a well regulated Militia is necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed." reinterpretation by US Supreme Court (Heller), 2008

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Mattmcg,

I ordered a cutter from Giraud for the 300 Whisper. I am assuming I will have to do some sort rough trim/cut and use the Giraud for my final. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get everything set up and figured it out.

As far as Remington brass goes, I ordered 2K of primmed brass to get my reloading started. I ordered it from Allen Arms, info below.

Allen Arms Inc.
    1210 Poinsett Hwy
    Greenville,SC 29609
    Phone-864-250-2007
    Randall@allenarmstactical.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    Since you have a lot of 223/5.56 brass, I agree that that is the cheapest way to get 300 BO brass. It's the way I got my 300/221 Fireball brass using a Dillon Rapidtrim.
    How did you use the Dillon Rapid Trim for this? The smallest case you can do is about 223 on it. They have a separate trimmer system for 6.8SPC and 7.62x39 due to this.

TIA
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    How did you use the Dillon Rapid Trim for this? The smallest case you can do is about 223 on it. They have a separate trimmer system for 6.8SPC and 7.62x39 due to this.

TIA
    Dillon only carries the more popular dies for the Rapid Trim.

I called CH4D and ordered a Whisper die for the Dillon. It also needed an extended shell holder, and the combination works pretty well. I put a fired 223/5.56 case in the shellholder and run it up into the die. What comes out is a fully sized and trimmed 300 Whisper.

However, I don't think you can go any shorter than that.

CH4D will also make dies for 7.62x39 and 6.5 G. I suspect that the 6.8 can be made to work too, though I haven't inquired about it, yet. I will when I need to start trimming 6.8.
    Last edited by Stormrider; 03-23-11 at 23:11.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    Dillon only carries the more popular dies for the Rapid Trim.

I called CH4D and ordered a Whisper die for the Dillon. It also needed an extended shell holder, and the combination works a treat. I put a fired case in the shellholder and run it up into the die. What comes out is a fully sized and trimmed 300 Whisper.

CH4D will also make dies for 7.62x39 and 6.5 G. I suspect that the 6.8 can be made to work too, though I haven't inquired about it, yet. I will when I need to start trimming 6.8.
    Ok. I have talked with them about 6.8 trim die before.

Looks like you have to use a single stage with it then if you need an extended shell holder.

Thanks!
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by motoduck View Post
    Mattmcg,

I ordered a cutter from Giraud for the 300 Whisper. I am assuming I will have to do some sort rough trim/cut and use the Giraud for my final. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get everything set up and figured it out.

As far as Remington brass goes, I ordered 2K of primmed brass to get my reloading started. I ordered it from Allen Arms, info below.

Allen Arms Inc.
    1210 Poinsett Hwy
    Greenville,SC 29609
    Phone-864-250-2007
    Randall@allenarmstactical.com
    Thanks Motoduck. Please report back once you've had a chance to try out the 300 Whisper items. Did you just get the cutter or both the cutter and case holder?

And will follow up on the Remmy brass as well.....
    "Because a well regulated Militia is necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed." reinterpretation by US Supreme Court (Heller), 2008

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Thanks Motoduck. Please report back once you've had a chance to try out the 300 Whisper items. Did you just get the cutter or both the cutter and case holder?

I purchased the cutter and the case holder. My work schedule is a little rough at the moment. Hopefully I will get a chance to try things out in the next couple of weeks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    Ok. I have talked with them about 6.8 trim die before.

Looks like you have to use a single stage with it then if you need an extended shell holder.

Thanks!
    Yes, I forgot to mention that.
    And...
    Your welcome.

Feedback Score
    On another forum, one gentleman said he's using this mini cutoff saw for his rough cut:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...saw-42307.html

For $25 it looks like it'd sure beat any hand saw I could come up with.
    Last edited by Matt-man; 03-24-11 at 23:24.

Feedback Score

Trimming 300 Blackout Brass

I've trimmed a few 300 Blackout cases.

I use a Dillon 1050 with a 300 Whisper Trim die from C4HD. With the trim die in the press, and the press in the compressed position, the window of the trim die is encapsulated inside the tool head, you can trim a few cases, but then you need to clean out the chips. The Blackout makes lots of chips

To fix this, I had 1/2 inch of toolhead removed so I can place the blue collar(vac attachment) that comes with RT1200 Trimmer around the trim die. Before I had my toolhead cut, I was able to trim Blackout cases with the short shaft RT1200 trimmer(long shaft is for the 6.8spc, 7.62x39, etc.). With the tool head modified, I can still use a regular RT1200(short shaft). This is the easy way to make Blackout brass, and the RT1200 is worth it's weight in gold when it come to trimming any caliber where the cases number above 100 to beyond. The Blackout trimming is hard on the trimmers and cutting blades.

I also have a Giraud trimmer, it's another great reloading tool, big thanks for Doug G. The 300 Whisper setup works fine for trimming formed and cut down cases. Doug sends the unit setup for the Whisper, so you'll need to adjust trim length, I trim to 1.358-60. Max case length is 1.368, Min 1.348. Most Remington Brass comes in at 1.360-62. I'm not crimping any bullets, so the extra length in the neck holds the 30 cal pills nice, I also don't use the expander ball, and I have great neck tension.

Thoughts on the Giraud for making 300 Blackout. Set up in Whisper mode, the Giraud will only trim a 30 cal case neck, and the Blackout cases are really short when in the Giraud, and are hard to hold on too vs a 223 or 308 case. I haven't done either of these steps, so just my ideas for making Blackout's with a Giraud.

1. Cut cases below the shoulder of a 223 case(band saw, chop saw, etc.), put through a 300 Blackout die OR 221/300 Fireball OR 300 Whisper sizing die(from SSK), that will get them looking like the Formed case in the below picture.

I think it would be wise to debur the case and try to get a clean edge on the case mouth before putting the case in the Giraud(kind of a backwards step I know), the Giraud's cutting blade is a channel in a carbide blade, and a jagged edge will be tough to trim in the Giraud, and that's if you can hold the case with your hand. The Giraud then trims and leaves a very nice edge and makes reloading the case easy.

2. if you have a 221/300 Fireball dies by Redding(my fav die's for the Blackout), they have 2 expanders in the die set, IIRC, one goes form 22 cal to 6mm, then 6mm to 30 cal, I can post some images tomorrow. Once you have the brass necked up to 30 cal, and the case has been formed into a Blackout, the Giraud should make short work of removing the 1/4 of extra case, and you'll have ready to load Blackouts. Other hand trimmers could also remove the excess brass material.

Other Ideas are a Possum hollow trimmer and a drill press, get a formed case and let a cutter on the press cut to length.

If you need dies, the Forster ones are scarce, I'd recommend backordering a set, and if your not one to wait, find some 221/300 Fireball dies by Redding.

Crimping, my 300 Blackout dies from Forster don't have a crimp feature. My Redding dies, the crimp is for brass cut to a 1.40 case, so it's in the wrong place. If you send lee a dummy round, they will make you a Factory crimp die for $25 plus $5 shipping, 6-8 week lead time.

Pipe cutters also will cut brass, and leave a nice edge, then trimmed to length by most case trimmers.

Brad
    www.BradsWarehouse.com
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast