G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: How to install a flash suppressor?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    139
    Feedback Score
    0

    How to install a flash suppressor?

    I am thinking about getting one of those FSC556's and installing it myself. I have read stuff about timing and what not and I'm really not sure what that is. Just how difficult is it to install one of those? Any insight given would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    10,768
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If you buy one of the SureFire flash suppressors/brakes you can the the timing wheel (it's printed on a piece of paper) which makes the mount installation about a 10min job. The pieces of peel washer are pre measured so that you don't have to keep peeling a piece of and trying over and over.
    www.virginiaarms.com
    robb@virginiaarms.com

    Virginia Arms Co FFL/SOT Armorer
    Corporate Arms FFL/SOT type 07 & 08 Armorer

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    139
    Feedback Score
    0
    I can't find the Surefire FS that you're taking about.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,108
    Feedback Score
    0
    Most flash suppressors get installed with a crush washer.
    You remove the old muzzle device and install the new one.
    Small end of the crush washer points towards the gun, large end towards the muzzle device.



    You simply tighten down the muzzle device until it aligns correctly.
    The crush washer will crush as required.
    You want to have at least 90 degrees of crush.
    If you don't have that much when you first start tightening, go around another turn.

    Then there are peel washers.
    These are a stack of shims.
    Use a lighter to de-laminate one side of the stack.
    Then you can "peel" away as many as you need to obtain proper alignment when the muzzle device is tightened.

    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru
    California Precision Rifle Club founding member

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    24,343
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    Small end of the crush washer points towards the gun, large end towards the muzzle device.
    Unless it's a Sig556! They put it on backwards on the gun I saw. I didn't even look right at all because it wasn't even centered on the barrel.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,626
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    Most flash suppressors get installed with a crush washer.
    You remove the old muzzle device and install the new one.
    Small end of the crush washer points towards the gun, large end towards the muzzle device.



    You simply tighten down the muzzle device until it aligns correctly.
    The crush washer will crush as required.
    You want to have at least 90 degrees of crush.
    If you don't have that much when you first start tightening, go around another turn.

    Then there are peel washers.
    These are a stack of shims.
    Use a lighter to de-laminate one side of the stack.
    Then you can "peel" away as many as you need to obtain proper alignment when the muzzle device is tightened.

    Randall could you please describe 90 degrees of crush?
    Thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,108
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    Randall could you please describe 90 degrees of crush?
    Thanks
    Start with a plain muzzle on a barrel that's mounted firmly in a vise.
    Install the crush washer.
    Hand tighten the muzzle device.
    Take a wrench to the muzzle device with just one finger.
    Begin tightening.
    When one finger lightly pushing the wrench is no longer enough to turn the muzzle device, you have reached "snug"
    Now look where the muzzle device is indexed.
    If it indexes anywhere between 9:00 going clockwise to 12:00, you will need to go past 12:00 and make one complete turn back to 12:00.
    If it indexes anywhere between 12:00 going clockwise to 9:00, just tighten it to 12:00.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru
    California Precision Rifle Club founding member

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    139
    Feedback Score
    0
    Great info thanks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,626
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think a sticky is called for.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just purchased a BC 2.0 and plan on installing it myself. I was wondering if you need to use any anti-seize type of grease on the threads for the install. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •