Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to install a flash suppressor?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Use a light coat of grease. Also, use a thin tappet wrench instead of the regular width wrenches. I used a regular wrench when installing my Battlecomp and when the crush washer expanded, it trapped the wrench and it caused damage getting the wrench off
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A brand new FSC-556 actually comes with the PWS shim kit, which is 3 thicknesses of shims that do the same work as a peel washer but don't require you to heat and then manually peel a laminated peel washer. I find that the easiest route. Crush washers are easy too, unless you find that you're going to have to crush it 350 degrees (just under a full circle) for timing, which is a real PITA.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe the proper torque is 45 degrees of rotation from finger tight? I mess with the shims until its 45 degrees or so from 6 oclock fingertight, then I tighten it down to the correct timing and it should be the right torque. Use a 3/4" wrench, dont use an adjustable, I couldnt get them to fit tight enough. I marred up my first attempt. Having an upper receiver action block an a vice helps a lot.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Mark the starting point

Having installed a BC 1.0 recently, I wanted to be certain I had the TDC correct. I might suggest using a pencil or narrow marking pen to line up the comp and or brake as soon as it's hand snug. That way when you get to your desired degree of compression you will have a reference point. You can also mark the desired end point so you can tell how much farther you have to go. Any do use the correct size wrench, adjustable wrenches usually have a much thicker set of jaws than the flats will accomadate (never tried it myself, read about it in a book somewhere)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    I think a sticky is called for.
    Indeed. The crush washer is one of the most misunderstood firearms accessories there is. It's such a simple concept that is so widely misunderstood and overthought.

That was a very thorough explanation.

Feedback Score
    Great info all. Thanks!!! Looking forward to getting the BC on the rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2jet View Post
    I just purchased a BC 2.0 and plan on installing it myself. I was wondering if you need to use any anti-seize type of grease on the threads for the install. Thanks
    Lots of different types of grease would work. But if you want to use the correct stuff, Loctite C5-A is it. Clean and degrease the threads of the barrel and the muzzle device first.
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Here are two of the better muzzle device install tutorials I've found. They cover the tools and procedeure for both types of washers (crush and shim style). Peel washers are still available, but the shim kits seem like a more trouble free version of the peel washer. For those mounting a suppressor adapter, shim or peel style will be needed.

From Surefire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWzs9...6&feature=plcp

From ITS Tactical:
    http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/fi...on/#more-11217

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    Most flash suppressors get installed with a crush washer.
    You remove the old muzzle device and install the new one.
    Small end of the crush washer points towards the gun, large end towards the muzzle device.

You simply tighten down the muzzle device until it aligns correctly.
    The crush washer will crush as required.
    You want to have at least 90 degrees of crush.
    If you don't have that much when you first start tightening, go around another turn.

Then there are peel washers.
    These are a stack of shims.
    Use a lighter to de-laminate one side of the stack.
    Then you can "peel" away as many as you need to obtain proper alignment when the muzzle device is tightened.

So I installed my FSC91 on a PTRGI with the crush washer on backwards. The timing is correct. Do I need to uninstall and correct this or will it not cause a problem? Is the washer ruined for future installations?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    So I installed my FSC91 on a PTRGI with the crush washer on backwards. The timing is correct. Do I need to uninstall and correct this or will it not cause a problem? Is the washer ruined for future installations?
    Leave it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12