Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Usefullness of a Laser on an AR?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Like I said on another forum:

A well rounded shooter can shoot both irons and things like Aimpoints (my favorite) or EOTech (my fastest)..........it's like kind of like walking vs. running.........it really shouldn't take conscious thought. If it does then you need a lot more training/trigger time IMHO.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    Pat, do you have any carbine classes in '08 that will cover shooting with lasers at night?

I'd love to attend something like that.

Last year, I had a decent civvie type gen 3 scope and an unmarked (but amazingly powerful) IR laser. I used them on my AR about a year and a half, but sold them because i came to realize some combination of me and the gear was just flat ineffective.

now that I know people who can tell me what to buy and how to use it, i'm getting a little excited.
    No open enrollment classes are scheduled. The reality is most who own AR's won't train, and few of them have Vis/ IR lasers.

GotM4- that is a quote worth keeping. Of course, you know what you are talking about, so it makes sense...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Like I said on another forum:

A well rounded shooter can shoot both irons and things like Aimpoints (my favorite) or EOTech (my fastest)..........it's like kind of like walking vs. running.........it really shouldn't take conscious thought. If it does then you need a lot more training/trigger time IMHO.
    Good point. I'm seriously thinking of finishing that lower half I have with an aimpoint over the next year.... KevinB's input has me motivated to try one out.

Probably should have started a separate RDS thread instead of derailing this one so much... but the info is good.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    Pat, do you have any carbine classes in '08 that will cover shooting with lasers at night?

I'd love to attend something like that.
    Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn are doing an all low light class that talks about lasers and lights and optics. The folks in the inaugural session said it was awesome. I'm going to session #2 in November.

Feedback Score
    I agree that visible lasers are an effective supplement to a handgun and they're an effective instructional tool on any weapon. I don't use them on long guns as the RDS addresses my needs there. Thanks and a tip of my hat to both Pats.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn are doing an all low light class that talks about lasers and lights and optics. The folks in the inaugural session said it was awesome. I'm going to session #2 in November.
    yeah, i've been eyeballing that thread for a few days. I've taken Ken Hackathorn's handgun class before and enjoyed it. Would love to meet Larry Vickers. And as I stated previously, could definitely use some low-light training.

Other than a G2 I carry around in my pocket, I have no flashlights, lasers, etc. If there was overwhelming consensus on what I should buy for the class, I'd probably go. (if there's a spot left) (especially if there's going to be a b-day party on the 10th)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234