Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Sig 556R - Not what I expected

Feedback Score

Review: Sig 556R - Not what I expected

I took my new Sig 556R 7.62x39 rifle out today to review it... and I was surprised by what I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXmpp_T4l4

Questions and comments are welcome.
    Please check out the Military Arms Channel on YouTube.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Unfortunately, nothing surprising in your findings, which is a damn shame.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    There was a time when Sig was synonymous with quality. I guess it's hard for me to believe their quality has slipped so far.

I really wanted to like this rifle. I want a modern 7.62x39 that takes AK mags and I was hoping this would be it.
    Please check out the Military Arms Channel on YouTube.

Feedback Score
    Could the light primer strikes be a result of the engineers not putting into consideration the recessed primers that 7.62x39mm naturally have? The SIG556R may need a longer firing pin, but they possibly decided to cheap out and use a 5.56mm pin.

I know 7.62x39mm AR15's have this problem unless you acquire the correct firing pin. I think the Ruger Mini-30's had this problem, too.
    Last edited by kal; 03-19-11 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Could the light primer strikes be a result of the engineers not putting into consideration the recessed primers that 7.62x39mm naturally have? The SIG556R may need a longer firing pin, but they possibly decided to cheap out and use a 5.56mm pin.

I know 7.62x39mm AR15's have this problem unless you acquire the correct firing pin. I think the Ruger Mini-30's had this problem, too.
    I'm going to hold off on one until more reports on this come out and to see if they are addressed. The issue about the folding stock doesn't matter to me, I'll replace it with a DDLES and MOE stock. If we could get a close up pic of the primers from MAC's review we'd be able to tell for sure if they are 556 pins.

This isn't a deal breaker for me, I'll get one eventually. I got an email that SIGUSA is hiring QC and design managers so maybe they are looking to improve the product with some new blood. If they would hire me, you could be sure the quality would improve to Swiss standards or better. There are more good reviews of the 556R than negative so far that it's the law of averages.
    Low Speed, High Drag Phone Operator

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I took my new Sig 556R 7.62x39 rifle out today to review it... and I was surprised by what I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXmpp_T4l4

Questions and comments are welcome.
    Good review. Can I ask what kind of ammo you used? You didn't specify in the video. If we knew the type we could probably find out the depth of the primer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phazuka View Post
    I got an email that SIGUSA is hiring QC and design managers so maybe they are looking to improve the product with some new blood. If they would hire me, you could be sure the quality would improve to Swiss standards or better. There are more good reviews of the 556R than negative so far that it's the law of averages.

You've read about my buddy's experiences with SIG USA and Cohen when he was hired to bring the 556 out, haven't you?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    You've read about my buddy's experiences with SIG USA and Cohen when he was hired to bring the 556 out, haven't you?
    Yea, I heard. Still, one has to believe that America can make a better product than anyone, IF THEY WANT TO. But, SIGUSA has to want to achieve that quality first and build a better widget.

ETA: This whole SIGUSA hatred reminds me of Colt 10-20 years back. Their quality went to hell, they were pandering to the Anti-gun lobby, people hated the name Colt and anything they made, especially post-ban rifles and the 80's series 1911 pistols. The pre-ban rifles and lowers commanded a premium but had anti-FA features. Then they made a comeback, turned around their QC and now people buy Colt and the name is quality again.
    Last edited by Phazuka; 03-19-11 at 17:26.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phazuka View Post
    ETA: This whole SIGUSA hatred reminds me of Colt 10-20 years back. Their quality went to hell, they were pandering to the Anti-gun lobby, people hated the name Colt and anything they made, especially post-ban rifles and the 80's series 1911 pistols. The pre-ban rifles and lowers commanded a premium but had anti-FA features. Then they made a comeback, turned around their QC and now people buy Colt and the name is quality again.

For me, and for most of the people I can think of, it's not HATE, it's severe disappointment. SIG USA could have easily built a rifle comparable to the Swiss Arms quality, but chose not to. I know this through 1st person documentation.

It's exactly like a DPMS compared to a Colt 6920. They may look almost identical on the outside, but inside, and what they're actually made out of, is entirely different.

My disappointment comes from the knowledge I have of the workings inside of SIG USA and the repeated issues with the guns that they've been producing for about 6/7 years now.

And as with a DPMS carbine, you might get one that runs like a scalded dog, but the chances of you getting a steaming pile of dogshit is much, much higher than it should be.

That's my issue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    MAC, can I also request that you repost your review at the sigarms556 website so our resident expert Ullie and the other 556 members can check out the review and respond? Apparently, Ullie has a line inside SIGUSA and maybe he could recommend design changes? I'm sure the members would want to try and fix the problem and make the platform better for everyone to enjoy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast