Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Review: Sig 556R - Not what I expected

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phazuka View Post
    There is also a significant difference in price and a significant difference in need. Not everyone needs a $2500 rifle to shoot a $.50 cent paper target every weekend.
    Difference being that these kind of things are not the difference on negligible amount of accuracy, but life threatening malfunctions. At the very least this kind of quality makes for a frustrating range trip.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    There is also a significant difference in price and a significant difference in need. Not everyone needs a $2500 rifle to shoot a $.50 cent paper target every weekend.
    There are plenty of forums geared towards the casual shooter that have low expectations of their weapons. This is not one of them.....

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I believe there is a difference between being "objective" and being a "dick." I believe the former, not the latter is what applies in this case.

That all ARs come from the "same place" is but a myth--as confirmed by Todd.

I think most here would wholeheartedly agree with that statement, but as previously mentioned, this website is not about "fun guns." This website is about defensive tools on which your life may depend in a bad situation. That's not to say that fun guns don't have their place.

OP, thanks for that video review. I did not really know anything about SIG rifles; I assumed they were "quality" and reliable, but I guess that isn't the case. I'll share this video with others, so that it may help them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    There are plenty of forums geared towards the casual shooter that have low expectations of their weapons. This is not one of them.....
    Am I being asked to leave?
    Low Speed, High Drag Phone Operator

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Phazuka, please check your pm's.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Back on topic...

I bought a Sig 556 way back when some of the parts were still Swiss. Even then, there were obvious deficiencies introduced by Sig USA. It isn't an awful rifle (I'd certainly take it over a DPMS However), but it isn't really a serious rifle either. I've done a good deal of part swapping with as many Swiss parts as I can afford and keep it within 922r compliance. Even so, the rifle has been 100% for a few thousand rounds (maybe 3k).

In 2008, I bought a second one (I have no clue why). The second rifle was an abomination. There were literally welds missing. Had I not owned one of the earlier ones, I'd have never known this. Sig USA's response? "That's the way we do it now". It also had all of the known bolt carrier and trunion issues. Since Sig wouldn't fix it, I sold it at a small loss. I was actually mocked on other gun forums for getting rid of an obviously defective gun. It was actually pretty pathetic.

If Sig could get their shit together, the 556 has the potential to be a decent platform. However, I'd still take a quality AR-15 over a Sig 551.

In short, for I would probably trust my Sig 556 in a competition. I wouldn't take it beyond that. I wouldn't trust anyone else's Sig 556 to shoot a dirt clod.
    Last edited by Kyohte; 03-19-11 at 22:35.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    So this is the 2nd company Cohen has ruined?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Bushmaster makes the ACR, is that included as well? To me it sure does and it produced the biggest golden turd of all time.
    Bushmaster does not make the ACR in the same factories as the ARs ( at least that was true -- with BM closing their Maine facility I don't know where things are being made any more ). The Remington ACR and the Bushmaster ACR are made at the same factory by the same people using the same parts (mostly). Since Remington and Bushmaster are now owned by the same parent, it is more likely that the Bushmaster name is being used on the ACR for the civilian version, not that Bushmaster is necessarily doing the actual manufacture. (this is gleaned from conversations I had at the BM and Remington booths at the SHOT Show in Jan 2010).
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The first was Kimber, right?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    The first was Kimber, right?
    Yes, he was hired by SIG from Kimber.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast