Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What can I expect from a Remington SPS

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

What can I expect from a Remington SPS

I have had the hankering for a larger caliber gun. I plan on picking up a SCAR 17 in the long run but right now I don't have the cash for such a project.

My local shop has a couple Remington 700 SPS and I could pick one up for about Six and a Half.

What can I expect out of one of these. Accuracy? Needed upgrades? Crap? Overpriced. Like everything else I know nothing and so rely on you all.
    Last edited by kwelz; 01-11-11 at 19:51.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I own one in 308 with the varmit/tactical barrel. It shoots adequately out of the box with good glass on it. The rubber Hogue stock is not the best but there are plenty of replacements out there.

Mine is kind of a toy and it shoots well enough to have some fun out at extended ranges. There are certainly plenty of upgrades out there to improve things if you want smaller groups. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. I always put more of my budget for hunting/target setups in the glass as opposed to the rifle so the SPS fit the bill perfectly. The 700 action is the basis for a lot of serious rifles so you are starting with a good basic building block. Where you go from there is only limited by imagination and the size of your bankroll.

Sniper Central did a pretty nice write up on them that will give you a pretty good run down:

http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm
    Last edited by TommyG; 01-11-11 at 19:42. Reason: Link added
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The SPS Tac is a good rifle in a crappy stock. Buy it and replace the stock and you are in it for less than a 700P.

BTW, your shop is too high on the price.

Regular SPS Tac .308 is $574 at Bud's:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/42070

The .223 is $550:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/42069

My choice would be the SPS Tac AAC-SD. Bud's last price was $595:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/69321

Feedback Score
    You said SPS, so I assume that's the 24" lighter contour with 1:10 twist. Although it's still a 700 action, it's a different animal from the highly touted tactical/varmint/police contour in 1:12. I don't know about the plain SPS, but am very impressed with my 26" varmint. 1/2" at 100 anytime I'm trying, and that's with the plastic ADL stock...for $450 new. So obviously I'd recommend that! The tac version is shorter (20") and questionably better stock...for $100 more? Although I am about to spend $35 to have mine shortened to 22"...http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

ETA: I'm with austin and would definitely look hard at the AAC for $600 if you like 20", or the P version if you like that stock and appreciate the barrel finish (park vs matte blue IIRC), or the 5R SS if you decide to drop a few more coin up front. Also keep a sharp eye out for resales.

On upgrades, see how the trigger is. If it's O.K., just shoot it. If not, you can replace your choice. Likewise with stock. 700 aftermarket stuff abounds. Personally, the only things I required were taping on cheekpad and grip, Harris bipod, and side sling swivel (I epoxied it in). YMMV. Lots of guys say a rail is important, but I'm not there yet. I think I'm going to buy a "bolt lift" from KRG.
    Last edited by carbinero; 01-11-11 at 22:39.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Sorry guys. I should have been more specific. And I was wrong ont he price.

This is a Heavier barrel 20 inch gun in .308 So the Tac Version I guess. Price is $579.00 firm. Guy at the shop today also recommended the AAC.
    Guess I will have to look at that.
    Last edited by kwelz; 01-12-11 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    Saw a NIB tac version for $400 a year ago and wish I had snapped it up, but at the time I was focusing on a longer barrel. If you can get the AAC version for just a little more, jump on it. If not, there's plenty of great reviews on it. Who knows, maybe you'll get one that shoots fine without touching the trigger or stock! Be sure to keep us updated!
    Last edited by carbinero; 01-12-11 at 15:13.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The AAC 300 Blackout is a cool round but is not going to have the reach or punch that the 308 does out at longer ranges.

I have only read a little bit on the 300 BLK ballistics but I think you would be disappointed with it if you are going use this rifle out at longer ranges. I don't advocate one round over the other, each has uses that it is best suited for. Just make sure you know what each will do and what you are expecting out of your rifle so you can match up with the best round/caliber.

300 BLK is shooting a light (123 grain for example) 308 bullet out of a necked up 223 case. You can shoot the exact same 308 bullet out of a much larger 308 case with a lot more powder behind it in the 308 rifle. This will allow you to reach a lot further (if that is your intention).

If you are already up on all of this, sorry for the lecture.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    Tommy, pretty sure he's talking about the 700AAC, which is in 308 but adds muzzle threading, 1:10 twist, and maybe some other stuff.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    Tommy, pretty sure he's talking about the 700AAC, which is in 308 but adds muzzle threading, 1:10 twist, and maybe some other stuff.
    Yep this is correct.
    300 AAC is going to be my Next AR round.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    All of the factory SPS stocks suck. The varmint models are cheap, plastic, and hollow. The tac's houge wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't so damn flexible. When you shoot off a bi-pod, the forearm of the stock will flex up and actually touch the barrel. When that happens, it noticeably throws off your POI.

However, when you place the barreled actions in a decent stock, thats fully floated, they are definitely good shooters. My SPS Tac in a Choate stock is a sub .75MOA gun all day long.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast