Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need load date for Mil-Spec 5.56

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Reifert View Post
    Do you guys really like WW748?
    I tried it and didn't care for it at all.
    Ramshot TAC gives me superior accuracy, it's a little cheaper (costs less per pound and I use less to get the same velocity) and burns cleaner.
    If you haven't tried it, pick up a pound and see what you think.
    I sold my chrono after I developed my loads, so I'm stuck with 748

748 is more than adequate for practice ammo. I've heard that it is a little dirtier than others, and that it is temperature sensitive. But it's been a great medium burn rate powder for me.

There might be better out there, but I've never had any issues with 748 that would lead me to bother looking. I'm coming from a practice ammo perspective, so if it holds 2-3 MOA, I'm fine with it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Has anybody tried using Vargent for 55 gr abd 62 gr load?

Paul

Feedback Score
    Do you guys really like WW748?
    I tried it and didn't care for it at all.
    Ramshot TAC gives me superior accuracy, it's a little cheaper (costs less per pound and I use less to get the same velocity) and burns cleaner.
    If you haven't tried it, pick up a pound and see what you think.
    Well...I have several groups that I have saved using WW748 that are .340MOA or BETTER. You probably just haven't found the sweet spot for 748 powder in your gun. It's one of the most widely used powders by the Bench Rest Fraternity. And yes...it is dirty. You indicated you wanted Mil. Spec. 5.56 load data. This is the powder WCC (Winchester Cartridge Company) uses for their Mil. 5.56.

That being said...Where can I get some Ramshot TAC? I'm interested in cheaper component alternatives for CQB training where I don't need accuracy, but cost savings.

Important...How does it flow through the powder measure??? As good as Ball Powder???

Thanks in advance!

Tack
    Last edited by toddackerman; 10-13-07 at 01:22. Reason: add text

Feedback Score
    TAC meters perfectly thru my Dillons and I also use it thru an RCBS powder drop.
    By perfect I mean that it holds .01gr variation. It should save you some dough, give excellent accuracy and leave your rifle cleaner. Win/Win/Win

If your local reloading shop doesn't carry Ramshot powders you can get it from Powder Valley or Midway USA, but you really should support your local guy. (or he won't be local very long!)

Varget is a great powder for accurate .223, .308 and 30-06 but it does not meter very well. Most people that I know use it in match ammo and they trickle their charges or use a Lyman 1200 or similar.

You sold your chrono? Shame on you. ;-)

Feedback Score
    Did some surfing last night, and checked my usual source, (Powder Valley) and the TAC is $10 less for 8 lbs than 748.

Given that it flows well and is 9% cheaper, and I'll use less...that's enough for me. I'll probably try a 1# before getting the 8#, but like i said, I just need it to go "Boom" every time, and cycle the action reliably.

What do you load for the 55 gn. bullet with TAC. I'll definitely get some load data from the factory which comes from Powder Valley with the order, but I was wanting to further calculate my savings.

BTW....there are no more "Local Guys" that handle reloading components any longer in the South Denver area. They've all been put out of business by the "Gander Mountains", "Sportsman's Warehouse", and "Bass Pro Shops". Still a few selling limited supplies of guns, (more like brokers) but no reloading components. A total of 7 well established (5 years or more, some > 20 years) gun shops have folded in the Denver Metro Area in the last 3 years.

Thanks for the advice!

Tack

Feedback Score
    I use 24 grains of TAC with a Remington 7 1/2 or CCI 400 primer in Lake City brass with a 55 gr fmj Hornady bullet.
    Gives me about 3000fps thru a 20" pipe. I have not chronographed it thru a carbine, but I shoot them thru a 16" Stag all the time with no problem.

Rumor has it that TAC is the powder that Blackhills uses for their .223 loads.
    I have not tried to confirm that.

Sorry to hear that your local small businessmen have bit the dust.
    I run a small shop myself and I have no problem beating the big box store prices on components. The sheeple mentality is a strong draw to the big stores, but the guys behind the counter generally don't have much depth of knowledge.
    I teach a beginners reloading class at my shop about once a month. It's a good way to cultivate new, loyal customers. With the price and scarcity of ammo, it's a good draw.

Feedback Score
    I use 24 grains of TAC with a Remington 7 1/2 or CCI 400 primer in Lake City brass with a 55 gr fmj Hornady bullet.
    Gives me about 3000fps thru a 20" pipe. I have not chronographed it thru a carbine, but I shoot them thru a 16" Stag all the time with no problem.

Rumor has it that TAC is the powder that Blackhills uses for their .223 loads.
    I have not tried to confirm that.
    Thanks!

Tack

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a buddy who is selling me his TAC.... just under 8 lbs. I'll get a good amount to try out in a few weeks. He prefers different powder for his precision loads so he's giving me a good price on it.

Even if I go with 24.5 grains that would be 2 grains less per round than I'm using now for my 748 load. That could add up quick!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I have a buddy who is selling me his TAC.... just under 8 lbs. I'll get a good amount to try out in a few weeks. He prefers different powder for his precision loads so he's giving me a good price on it.

Even if I go with 24.5 grains that would be 2 grains less per round than I'm using now for my 748 load. That could add up quick!
    I went and re-did all my powder conversion/ cost tables after making the decision to go to TAC (after I burn up my WW748) and the saving is $.02 cents per round at 24 gns. of TAC versus 27.2 gns. of WW748 behind a 55 Gn. FMJBT w/c bullet.

I'll still use WW748 for my "Tactical Rifle Type Loads" because 44.5 gns. behind a .30 cal 168 gn. Sierra BTHP Match bullet is the cats meow in every .308 I have shot it from. The "Hunter Bench Rest" fraternity agrees. I have shot many sub .3 MOA groups from factory M700's with this load.

Feedback Score

load info

I know this is an old thread, and the question was about "milspec" load data. With that said here goes anyway.
    24.8 grains of TAC or 25.9 grains of AA2520 behind the Hornady 62 grain BTHP (midsouth shooters exclusive) in lake city brass will give your approximately 2950 FPS from a 20"barrel. I don't how much velocity you will loose in a 16 inch carbine. It cycles well, is very accurate, and doesn't beat up my guns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast