Thread: LMT 308 16 vs 18 inch barrels

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

LMT 308 16 vs 18 inch barrels

I'm considering picking up a stainless steel barrel and I am trying to decide between 16 and 18 inch. I would generally opt for a 16 inch system but I called LMT and they said that the 18 inch (and 20 inch) barrel has a rifle length gas tube.

This may sway me toward the 18 if the longer gas tube provides any type of noticeable difference in recoil.

Can some folks with 18 or 20 inch barrels with rifle length gas tubes weigh in whether there is any noticeable difference between those and the 16 inch?

I've tried searching for this because I'm sure it's already been discussed but I had no luck so I will ask.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I haven't noticed any difference in recoil after going to the 20". About the only difference I have seen is the recoil is smoother, but not any softer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with m1a. I have the 18" and it may be a tad smoother, but just as much felt recoil as the 16". If that is the only reason you would get the longer barrel, I would probobly get the 16", but its up to you.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. Smoother sounds good but if it's only a bit then I will go with the 16. Thanks again for the input.