Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how can one reduce noise without suppressor?

Feedback Score

how can one reduce noise without suppressor?

That MB vs FS thread got me wondering, what would be the best way to reduce the noise level of an ar15? I'm going to assume it will be a muzzle device of some sort, but ruling out suppressors, which muzzle device is best at doing that? Forget flash suppression and muzzle control. Just noise reduction.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Less noise to the shooter or others around? There's a difference. Also, it won't be much about the noise, more the concussion that you feel that you'll have any control over.

I believe anything that lowers sound 1db or more is classified as a suppressor, but I'm not sure if a baffle is required in that determination. The GSG 22 for a while had that barrel shroud that actually reduced noise by a decent amount (to my ears, never used a meter). There was an ATF mandated recall recently on those but since I never owned one, this is all going off of what my buddy experienced and info from the local class 3 dealer.

A can style brake, for example, will direct the blast forward which will seem like less noise to the shooter and those to the side than most brakes, but not sure how it compares to the A2 as I've never been fond of the ounces it adds out front.

Can I ask your reasoning on this? Is it just curiosity or are you looking for something that'll make a difference in home defense, range, etc.?
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 03-25-11 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I may be straying out of my lane but I'll take a stab.

The answer is none. ANY muzzle device (FH or MB) that reduces the sound signature would be classified as a suppressor by the BATFE. Therefore, no muzzle device that isn't a suppressor will reduce the sound at all.

Buy a suppressor or double up on hearing protection
    Last edited by Icculus; 03-25-11 at 15:32.
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    drop a .22 lr conversion kit in your upper.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Anything that reduces the sound levels of the report of a shot is considered a suppressor by the BATF and subject to regulation.

Going to a longer barrel will (legally) reduce the report of a firearm. If shooting at a range, baffling that is not part of the firearm can be used to muffle the report.

Yes, suppressor laws are ridiculous
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    As everyone said, you can't legally reduce the actual report of your gun.

But, in terms of perceived noise as the shooter, a flash hider will be quieter and give you less felt concussion than any brake.

You could also look at the Noveske KX3, which directs a lot of the blast forward/down range and away from the shooter.

The longer the barrel of your gun is the quieter it will be.
    Last edited by JasonM; 03-25-11 at 16:35.

Feedback Score
    realllllly.. damn i didn't know that. I guess the noveske would be the best option? Even though it doesn't necessarily reduce noise, it directs as much of it away from you. I will need to keep that in mind!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Less noise to the shooter or others around? There's a difference. Also, it won't be much about the noise, more the concussion that you feel that you'll have any control over.

I believe anything that lowers sound 1db or more is classified as a suppressor, but I'm not sure if a baffle is required in that determination. The GSG 22 for a while had that barrel shroud that actually reduced noise by a decent amount (to my ears, never used a meter). There was an ATF mandated recall recently on those but since I never owned one, this is all going off of what my buddy experienced and info from the local class 3 dealer.

A can style brake, for example, will direct the blast forward which will seem like less noise to the shooter and those to the side than most brakes, but not sure how it compares to the A2 as I've never been fond of the ounces it adds out front.

Can I ask your reasoning on this? Is it just curiosity or are you looking for something that'll make a difference in home defense, range, etc.?

my reasoning for asking is, i guess, another one of those SHTF scenarios. I live in hawaii and we get all of our supplies by those huge freighter ships. I mean pretty much everything, like all the things that fill the shelves at walmart and whatever other stores you can think of are basically shipped by sea. So a real SHTF scenario could very well be likely if anything happened to our docks here. The earthquake in japan sent a tsunami to hawaiii and ended up damaging a lot of property on the big island. I live on oahu and we didn't experience much, if any, damage at all here, but who knows? It might happen one day. If something happened to our docks and ships couldn't get here to deliver goods, who knows what kind of looting would happen in the weeks to follow. We have a lot of meth users, punks and people who live in poverty here. If supplies became scarce, who knows what these people would do.

That being said, where i live is a very very urban area. Condominiums everywhere. Suppressors are also illegal in this state. So to be able to have a rifle to go to that will not destroy my eardrums if i ever had to use it one day in my urban indoor areas is something that i am considering.

Thanks
    Last edited by badness; 03-25-11 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    make your barrel longer. or experiment with a dpms levang.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by badness View Post
    T...got me wondering, what would be the best way to reduce the noise level of an ar15?
    Fix bayonets...
    Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast