Thread: 2nd rifle course

Feedback Score

2nd rifle course

Enrolled in my second rifle class this year,

1st one with these guys, located in Boise Id.
    http://www.ambushtactical.com/Articles.asp?ID=242

Learned more,
    1. I need way more trigger time and practice
    2. My colt hbar is way to freaking heavy to run around with for 8 hours, Going to remedy that with a light weight build.
    3. My strong side to weak side transitions with a vickers 2 point suck, more practice or change to a single point?
    4. light mounted at 11 o'clock kept snagging the barricade during transtions. options?
    5. Still trying to figure out spare mags for ar, drop leg is two far down, no space on belt 28" waist , back maybe?, Most guys gear weighs more than I do. Any photos of short skinny guys in gear for a rifle/carbine class would be helpfull.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    Enrolled in my second rifle class this year,

1st one with these guys, located in Boise Id.
    http://www.ambushtactical.com/Articles.asp?ID=242

Learned more,
    1. I need way more trigger time and practice

Definitely!

2. My colt hbar is way to freaking heavy to run around with for 8 hours, Going to remedy that with a light weight build.

Lift some weights!

3. My strong side to weak side transitions with a vickers 2 point suck, more practice or change to a single point?

All the transition "strong/weak side" stuff is cool and all but you will be shooting off your "strong side" 99% of the time so don't get too wrapped up in it. Unless you work on getting your sight picture on your "weak side" just as much as your "strong side" I don't recommend having the mindset that you will transition to your "weak side" in an actual defensive situation...(situation dependent) its better to get rounds off fast and accurately while exposing a little more of your body than it is to expose less and not hit sh*t while taking longer to find your sight picture....FWIW I always use a single point, but I have the option to clip into 2-point for more comfort if I'm just standing around with the gun (MS2/BFG VCAS hybrid sling)

4. light mounted at 11 o'clock kept snagging the barricade during transtions. options?

Use PROPER distance between you and your barricade and no more snags

5. Still trying to figure out spare mags for ar, drop leg is two far down, no space on belt 28" waist , back maybe?, Most guys gear weighs more than I do. Any photos of short skinny guys in gear for a rifle/carbine class would be helpfull.

Dude, an AR mag is about 2.5" wide. If I can fit two AR mags and two handgun mags on my belt comfortably then you can too...have other mags ready to go behind the line if you have to.
    Answers in red.

Feedback Score
    "Dude, an AR mag is about 2.5" wide. If I can fit two AR mags and two handgun mags on my belt comfortably then you can too...have other mags ready to go behind the line if you have to"
    Dude, Looking at your pic, if thats you, YOU don't have a 28 inch waist,
    & I doubt if you weigh 120lbs soaking wet & thats with my gear
    2 ar mags with carriers take up from from 8 oclock to 11 oclock on my body barely enough room for 2 pistol mags.
    If I lift weights for answer # 2, I get even skinner and lose more real estate

Copy on everything else..

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    "Dude, an AR mag is about 2.5" wide. If I can fit two AR mags and two handgun mags on my belt comfortably then you can too...have other mags ready to go behind the line if you have to"
    Dude, Looking at your pic, if thats you, YOU don't have a 28 inch waist,
    & I doubt if you weigh 120lbs soaking wet & thats with my gear
    2 ar mags with carriers take up from from 8 oclock to 11 oclock on my body barely enough room for 2 pistol mags.
    If I lift weights for answer # 2, I get even skinner and lose more real estate

Copy on everything else..
    Haha I thought I put it in there, but I actually have a 31-32" waist when I'm in shape (180-185 lbs)...right now my shape is slightly more round so I'm about 33" now...working on that!

Some options with load carriage:

1) If you want to go minimal, use back pockets, front pockets or whatever pockets necessary with however many mags you can fit on your belt.
    2) I suppose getting a redi-mag is out of the question due to weight, but that is an option.
    3) Get a micro chest rig. A BFG 10-Speed rig weighs next to nothing.

In my experience, 99% you don't need more than 3 mags with you at any given time during a course.....and I only load to 20 so I can work on reloads. YMMV.

Also...skip the weights and eat all the twinkies out of your dump pouch!
    Last edited by Ironman8; 07-12-11 at 00:08.