Thread: Question about old powder

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)

Question about old powder

So I was at the pawn shop the other day and they had a shotgun reloader for sale. It's a MEC 600 Jr. I've never reloaded anything before mainly because getting a reloader and all the supplies is an expensive initial purchase for me. I asked the guy how much and he said $30 so I jumped and bought the thing.

As I'm walking out the door, the pawn shop guy says "Oh there's some more that goes with that". He hands me the two bottles, one filled with shot and the other about half full of powder.

I called my local gun shop to have the guy look it over. He's a big trap shooter and has been reloading shotguns for 20 years or so. He looked it over and gave me a list of parts I needed to get and after ordering them from MEC I've got a total of $63 dollars in the thing.

I told him about the powder and shot and just says "You need to get rid of that NOW!"

How do I do that safely? Is it necessary?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    He is right - never use powder when you don't absolutely know it's history. It might not even be what the container indicates.

Sprinkle it on the grass or flower beds - it's good fertilizer. Or just flush it - doesn't really matter.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I never use powder that I have not opened myself. There is no way to know the background on this powder and it’s not worth keeping it to save a few bucks.

Spread it on your lawn it makes good fertilizer.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    There is nothing wrong with using old powder, as long as you know what it is. I would absolutely not use the powder that came with your loader, it could be anything...dangerous.

The 600JR is a great loader and you got a great buy. I've got one that I use to load 20GA and I love it. Follow the instructions for setup and adjustments and follow the load books to the letter and it will treat you well. I did have one problem with mine when new, the sizing die would snag on the brass shell bases, I fixed that with a little polishing on the inside of the die and it ran smooth as silk. I don't know how many thousand I have through it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoam View Post
    There is nothing wrong with using old powder, as long as you know what it is. I would absolutely not use the powder that came with your loader, it could be anything...dangerous.
    Agreed. You never know what Cleatus actually had in that container.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I never use powder that I have not opened myself. There is no way to know the background on this powder and it’s not worth keeping it to save a few bucks.

Spread it on your lawn it makes good fertilizer.
    This.