Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the 7.62X40-the new .30 caliber AR solution

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    hmmmmmmm... mags are not ridiculously priced, barrels are cheap, ammo price isn't bad at all considering it's proprietary. i probably won't be the guinea pig, but i'm definitely interested.

looks very promising, WC.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    .750" gas blocks, looks like?

its not a particularly hot load, as far as i know about such things.. any estimates on service life? possible plans for cheaper training ammo? possibility for CMV/CL barrels down the road?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    .750" gas blocks, looks like?

its not a particularly hot load, as far as i know about such things.. any estimates on service life? possible plans for cheaper training ammo? possibility for CMV/CL barrels down the road?
    Yes, .750" blocks

I have two uppers with 3-5000 rounds through them and they show no abnormal wear and tear even though a lot of the loads fired through them were over max doing load development.

I think we have enough bbl choices already without CL, more bbls choices will be put on the web site later this week. We also have some Noveski's coming in too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWilson View Post

We also have some Noveski's coming in too.
    As in Noveske Rifleworks? Are they getting on board with 7.62x40mm WT or just offering barrels at this point?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafir View Post
    As in Noveske Rifleworks? Are they getting on board with 7.62x40mm WT or just offering barrels at this point?

Thanks.
    They made some of the original barrels for Kurt and they shot really well so we had them make us some more for those Noveski barrel fans. I have no idea if they plan to offer any 7.62x40WT product direct???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info.

Very intrigued by this caliber...looking at alternatives to 6.8 for medium-sized game hunting application out of a 16" or 18" barrel non-suppressed.

In your testing what loads/bullets worked best in the 18"? What is the realistic range on those loads?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafir View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Very intrigued by this caliber...looking at alternatives to 6.8 for medium-sized game hunting application out of a 16" or 18" barrel non-suppressed.

In your testing what loads/bullets worked best in the 18"? What is the realistic range on those loads?

Thanks.
    Deer: 125gr Sierra PH or 125gr Nosler BT over A1680

Hogs: 125gr Sierra PH or 110gr Barnes TTSX over A1680

The 125gr Sierra PH has become my "go to" bullet. If you can find any you had better buy them, Sierra and all the major component dist are out of stock and the next production run is not scheduled until late June.

I consider this caliber a 250yd one, I rarely shoot past 150yds so works well for me.

Feedback Score
    Why?

A decent 123 grain 7.62x39 load from Bitterroot Valley Ammunition clocks in at 2483 FPS. That's good for 1683 ft/lbs trumping any of the loads listed below.

Is it an issue of good magazines for 7.62x39? Is it that we just can't admit that the Russkies got it right back in the 40s?

Feedback Score
    While there are some people who would not use anything Russian, I am not one of those people. 7.62x39mm requires a larger bolt face, which is very prone to breakage. It also has a taper which is not compatible with the straight section of the AR magazine well.

Feedback Score
    Rsilvers,

Got it, so part of it is cramming a 7.62x39 head onto a bolt with an overall size setup for the smaller head of the 5.56 is the bigger issue. Looking at the head diameters between 6.8 and 7.62x39, it appears that the 7.62 head is .050 larger approximately in diameter, correct? Our most 7.62x39 conversions sbased on simply milling out the head opening on the bolt from a standard 5.56 bolt? Is there no way to make the head larger?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast