Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the 7.62X40-the new .30 caliber AR solution

Feedback Score
    It just depends how good a shot you are.

Feedback Score

Hogs are pretty tough....

Dan,
    As with all things, placement is key, but projectile technology has come a long way with regards to hunting bullets. The 110gr Barnes TTSX is proving to be very capable on tougher game like wild hogs....

Often Imitated-NEVER Duplicated
    Wilson Combat Online Representative
    m4carbine.net SITE SPONSOR
    www.wilsoncombat.com
    info@wilsoncombat.com
    (800) 955-4856

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWilson View Post
    Deer: 125gr Sierra PH or 125gr Nosler BT over A1680

Hogs: 125gr Sierra PH or 110gr Barnes TTSX over A1680

The 125gr Sierra PH has become my "go to" bullet. If you can find any you had better buy them, Sierra and all the major component dist are out of stock and the next production run is not scheduled until late June.

I consider this caliber a 250yd one, I rarely shoot past 150yds so works well for me.

Thanks!

Might be a subjective question...since the company name is on one...but given the choice of a 6.8 or 7.62x40 which flavor do you prefer out of a 16" or 18" in supersonic for whitetail/hog?

Feedback Score

Ice cream...

You're right, subjective
    The answer is, do you like chocolate or vanilla? Both certainly work, but appeal to different users. The 6.8 certainly gives better ballistics, especially when loaded to its full potential in a Spec2 chamber. But it requires a new bolt, dedicated(purpose built mags) and of course a new barrel. The 762x40WT, does not need a new bolt,(of course it needs a new barrel) and can use non-modified 5.56 mags, and needs 5.56 modifiedmags to reach its full capacity.

For me and my hunting uses, I personally prefer the 6.8, but plan on trying out the 762x40WT more this upcoming hunting season. I know Bill has been very impressed with it capability. The 6.8 has more loaded ammunition options, but the 762x40WT gives the reloader a great opportunity to convert readily available 5.56 brass, something many have bucket loads of laying around.

Pick for yourself....both offer easy alternatives for the 5.56 AR owner to upgrade their platform to a more powerful and capable chambering.
    www.wilsoncombat.com
    info@wilsoncombat.com
    (800) 955-4856

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey wilson people I live in CT. and was looking at a complet upper the 16" flutted if I got one would you guys be able to pin a certfied BATFE muzzle break on the barrel for me like the pws fsc30 which would be perfect.. thx's alot guys Damn CT laws...

Feedback Score

Give us a call....

fiddly,
    Give the sales dept a call, and ask for John May. He will sort this out for you. We have some muzzle devices instock, and we can do a custom ordered upper for you with various options.
    www.wilsoncombat.com
    info@wilsoncombat.com
    (800) 955-4856

Feedback Score
    Done experimenting, have settled on my "go to" loads for anything I plan to shoot with the 7.62x40WT

under 14" bbl
    125gr Sierra PH over 21.2gr H110, Rem 7 1/2, 2.150" OAL

Over 14" bbl
    125gr Sierra PH over 25gr A1680, Rem 7 1/2, 2.150" OAL

The Sierra is just the consistently most accurate bullet and at 2250-2450 fps MV performs very well on deer and hogs.

Just wish Sierra would hurry up and run some more bullets, I'm nearly out !!! Sierra told me they plan a big run in June, hopefully early June (-:

Feedback Score
    This looks like another good dog in the fight. Hope it gets widespread and doesn't just stay a specialty round. From the numbers posted, it sounds like it's got a lot of potential both with hunters and tactical shooters.

With the .300 BLK on the rise, I'd like to see a battle between the two on the market; it can only make them better.

Feedback Score

6.5 TCU

Alright gentlemen,
    I like all these cartridges. Maybe I just like cartridges! But I do like all this experimentation. You guys are doing great work. I like this 30 cal because it sticks to the original bolt face and that sort of helps keep cost down. But I STILL love these 6.5 rifles just because of the numbers they put out. Unlike my ex wives numbers never lie. So has anybody out there tried the old 6.5 TCU. Back in the day I did a bunch of load dev elopment for this cartridge in a bolt action Remington pistol. It was and XP100 or something like that. Bottom line...It was HOT. It was accurate as hell. We used it on rock chucks by the hundreds but I would have shot any deer with it. Certainly much better than a 223. I know its about shot placement. Afterthat though its about penetration and damage done. Ok guys. What do we think?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsoncombatrep View Post
    Dan,
    As with all things, placement is key, but projectile technology has come a long way with regards to hunting bullets. The 110gr Barnes TTSX is proving to be very capable on tougher game like wild hogs....

I'm sorry, i cant help but ask....

How many FEET is Mr. Wilson kneeling behind the hog? 3-4ft?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast