Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrades?

Feedback Score

Upgrades?

What are some of the first modifications that would be suggested to entry level 1911s?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    1-2k rounds of ammo and then change what you don't like and/or needs fixing (i.e., extractor tuning, etc). Usually sights, trigger job, bushing and some skate board tape on the front strap. That is what I did to my SA Loaded; it shoots 90%-95% as good as my custom Colt that was built by Jim Milks and cost less than 1/3. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    If you have a full-length guide rod, swap it out for a USGI-length rod and plug. Make sure you have good magazines.

Go buy ammo and shoot it, then you'll know what you have and what you want.

Feedback Score
    any pics of the difference of the full length and gi?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliberClark View Post
    No pics, but the GI guide rod is short and stubby, and does not protrude from the gun. A replacement recoil spring plug with no hole in the front is also a good idea.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Last edited by Norinco; 08-10-11 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliberClark View Post
    Brownells

That picture there shows commander, USGI and full-length rods. USGI/government is in the middle. The spring plug for a FLGR is basically a sleeve that slides over the guide rod. The end of the rod will protrude from the front of the plug.

My 1911 came with a screw-on FLGR. All it does is make it so you need tools to field strip your pistol and make it harder to manipulate with one hand. Just ordered my GI-length rod and plug. Way overdue.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Trigger job. Shoot, enjoy. After shooting it a good bit you'll figure out what else you want.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    To a certain extent, depends on what gun you start with?
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    The 1911 is one of the best platforms and types of guns around today, and deserves its long reputation. The problem with looking at a 1911 and deciding what changes you want to make is that unless you are a gunsmith, a lot of seemingly easy mods can cause issues and reduce the reliability of the gun. Also, some mods that look cool may not suit everyone, and you may find you hate the mods you had done after you spend the time and money because the feel of the gun isn't right or now doesn't fit you.

A good shooter takes the gun and shoots it at least a thousand rounds to grow familiar with it before he decides what works well and what doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast