Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: suture kit

Feedback Score

suture kit

Does anyone know where to get a good suture kit for a fair price?? Thanks!!
    "There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily." - George Washington

"Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death."

Feedback Score
    92 (96%)

Feedback Score
    I dont know your background but do you know how and when to suture vs when it is a bad idea to suture? There are some pretty solid guidelines about suturing time frames, dirty wounds, etc and other ways to manage wounds besides suturing. Not to mention most numbing agents are Rx so you would be suturing with no pain management. That is just the tip of the iceberg...

I am all about people having cool guy tools as long as they have the knowledge to go with it.

Feedback Score
    Quick follow up, for anyone that wants to start learning to suture I recommend the following text: http://www.amazon.com/Wounds-Lacerat.../dp/032302307X

It is the standard by which most physicians are trained and it is the text I was trained out of as a remote duty Medic. That being said, it is still only a book and you will be teaching yourself who is occasionally the biggest fan and worst critic. I dont know of any groups that train non-medical personnel in suturing but you may try finding a vet or doc to teach you after some self study with this book.

Some methods for practice, get some suture material and some dish sponges. I have used both the two sided (brillo on one, sponge on the other) and the single piece of sponge. Make cuts and stitch it up. Two sided allows you to practice multi-layer repair.

Remember though, in the field, sometimes it is better to let a wound heal by secondary intention (not suturing). This will actually reduce infection if you provide wound care appropriately and almost certainly reduce the chances of an abscess.

Hope that helps,

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    I dont know your background but do you know how and when to suture vs when it is a bad idea to suture? There are some pretty solid guidelines about suturing time frames, dirty wounds, etc and other ways to manage wounds besides suturing. Not to mention most numbing agents are Rx so you would be suturing with no pain management. That is just the tip of the iceberg...

I am all about people having cool guy tools as long as they have the knowledge to go with it.
    Mike G hits this square on.

We have a suturing module in our TOMS-B course and spend a lot of time addressing the myriad of considerations around the suturing topic before we ever get students into the actual hands on lab.

Pro's vs Con's, not to mention the acquisition and storage of the items required for this; be they pharmaceutical or hardware or..... and the list can go on.

Good luck, get some serious training, and be prudent.
    Last edited by Pathfinder Ops; 04-03-11 at 05:20.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I taught my TAC Team medics how to suture using pig's feet and how to tie knots using the venerable surgical tubing knot-board. It's no big deal. I did that because the scenario at the moment, whether it be training or an incident, might be facilitated by that. We had a protocol with rigid rules about when they could close those wounds. OTOH, there is little or no need for our hospital paramedics to suture wounds and they are prohibited.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all of the replys and heads up. I am currently a medical student and just had my first suture lab, that pigs foot will thank me. Right now I know enough to know that I am just crawling with this knowledge, but I figured that I would get a kit so that if I was put into a worse case position I could help some one. I of course would only provide care, in this case sutures, if there were absolutely no other options. Just looking for a kit to add to my "oh shit kit" that rides in my truck every day.
    "There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily." - George Washington

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You don't mention what year medical student you are, but I can assure you that you will get suturing experience ad nauseum on your Surgery rotation in your third year and in any subsequent ER electives. Bear in mind that what you teach yourself now you may well have to unlearn later when your resident teaches you how to do it right, and while you're learning the practical fundamentals of wound management and wound healing.

As to "helping someone"...you mean like, suturing someone up in a car accident or something? No...you are not yet allowed to perform miracles on an unsuspecting public without supervision. Be patient. Learn the trade first. The public doesn't need your help yet.

Feedback Score
    Just to clarify, I do not want a suture kit so that I can run out and stitch someone up or be anything more than prepared for any situation. I also understand that attempting to suture a pt with out numbing agents would...well suck to say the least. I just want to gather supplies so that in the future when I have a much more advanced skill set I can make a difference if need be.

Mike G that book you mentioned looks interesting. I think I will pick it up and read it this summer when I have free time. Thanks for the info!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    By the time you have sufficient skills, you will have ready access to virtually all the tools and supplies, including local anesthetic, that you need to assemble a stellar suture kit, as opposed buying a commercial version.

Ahh...the first two years of medical school. Interminable hours in the classrooms and labs. So frustrating, so eager to get in there and DO something. I'm sympathetic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast