Thread: Crappy Rail Gun grip safety fit...what radius?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Crappy Rail Gun grip safety fit...what radius?

Hey guys,

A buddy has a Colt rail gun with a terribly misfit grip safety. He wants to try and put another one in himself and try and fit it. He would send it to Colt but he is impatient and would like to tinker. I believe it is a S&A grip safety. Does anyone know what radius?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys,

A buddy has a Colt rail gun with a terribly misfit grip safety. He wants to try and put another one in himself and try and fit it. He would send it to Colt but he is impatient and would like to tinker. I believe it is a S&A grip safety. Does anyone know what radius?
    S&A says it is a .250.
    I have read elsewhere that Colt is using a GS of there own that is similar but not exactly the same as the S&A. I don't know if it is built "in-house" or from some outside provider.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    As long as he takes his time he should be fine. I did mine in a bout an hour. Started with an RIA GI model and was switching to a Kimber beaver tail. I put the frame in my vice and started with a coarse file, testing the fit here and there. Once I got close I started switching to finer files and checking the fit every couple of passes.

When I was done it sit and functioned prefectly.

Last edited by ssracer; 04-01-11 at 21:06.