Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cover Garment for IDPA?

Feedback Score
    1 (75%)

Lightbulb Cover Garment for IDPA?

I am going to my first IDPA match and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on cover garments? I am new to IDPA and do not want to spend a fortune on a cover garment. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I shoot IDPA 2-3 times a month using nothing more than an untucked polo shirt or t-shirt as a cover garment. It's what I conceal with every day at work so it's how I compete.

At the level that the vast majority of us are "playing" at, having a weighted super-cool game vest vs. drawing from under a t-shirt isn't going to separate the winners form the losers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFighter View Post
    I am going to my first IDPA match and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on cover garments? I am new to IDPA and do not want to spend a fortune on a cover garment. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Anything garment that covers your gun and holster when your arms are extended parallel to the ground is considered cover (there are a couple exceptions to that but it isn't something a new shooter should be worried about).

Feedback Score
    1 (75%)
    Thanks for both of your inputs. I appreciate your time in answering my question.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I use a Carharrt brand shirt in a Tall size as daily cover and gaming cover. Little tough in the hot months but not unbearable. I hope you enjoy the match.

Keith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I shoot IDPA 2-3 times a month using nothing more than an untucked polo shirt or t-shirt as a cover garment. It's what I conceal with every day at work so it's how I compete.
    But the IDPA gurus all have super fly 5:11 vests and debate the merits of 9mm v .45 ACP while sitting on their ass (and not taping / brassing / scoring) and seguing the conversation into IDPA is real world training......

Oh how I aspire to be a guru......

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are a number of good, inexpensive garments to expensive vests. The main thing is working with whatever you're going to use to makes sure you can clear the holster for the draw and be able to re-holster your gun with your dominant hand only. Having to use both hands to holster your gun usually will put your support hand in close proximity of your muzzle. If you go the Hawaiian (unbuttoned) shirt method it takes a but more practice clearing the light material on your draw without grabbing a fist full of shirt and the gun at the same time. If you go the vest route, most of the good ones (Woolrich, 511 etc...) have stiffeners or you can use your keys in the pockets as ballast to make clearing the garment easier. Just a good idea to test out your kit (with an empty gun) before doing it at the match for the first time.

Hope you have a good time. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Nightfighter,

I'd recommend starting out with a T-shirt with an unbuttoned button-down type shirt over it - cheap, effective, good point to begin learning for IDPA matches. Tac vests have been an IDPA 'uniform' since the beginning. One advantage to anything with side pockets is that you can add a spare mag, loaded or not, to the R-side pocket. The additional weight will create momentum for the garment to 'clear leather'. This is an old technique learned from one of our investigators way back when we carried S&W M10s. He used 2-3 loose rds. in his sport coat pocket for the weight. He taught this young FNG that trick and I returned the favor by introducing him to speedloaders. That was a long time ago.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MX5 View Post
    Nightfighter,

I'd recommend starting out with a T-shirt with an unbuttoned button-down type shirt over it - cheap, effective, good point to begin learning for IDPA matches.
    That'll work just as well as a vest.

I have a SigTac only because I won it in a drawing. Truth be known, the thing is hotter'n blazes in the summer even though it's lighter weight than some I've seen. In the winter my cover garment is a barn jacket or whatever coat I'm wearing.

IF you decide to buy a vest look for one that's well vented ... it'll be more comfortable for summer month shoots.
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score

Cool Lots of options!

Gent's,
    as you can tell there are several options for conceal garments, i would go to your local club and see what they like to wear, when it comes down to it I found it was all weather dependent. When i shot IDPA in Ky, everyone had a super cool 5.11 vest, which i started wearing, but now that i shoot down here in NC its way too warm for a vest and I've slowly moved to a long polo shirt with a IWB holster. I would pick up a vest at wally-world and then go from there, later!
    -ZM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast