Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Close range transition drill question

Feedback Score
    Just my two cents with 450 studs trained:
    1. Stop head shooting IADs
    2. Move one step over as you transition
    3. Might try painting a red dot on the target chest where you want to hit with the pistol - just for a bit. It will draw your attention. Also good for going from hands to heart when you get fast.

Hey Pat, it's Sneaky, how goes it.

Feedback Score
    Sneaky Brother!!
    Glad to see another Stud here. Welcome aboard!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the pointers Ndd. Putting a distracting something on the target should help.

Mark, transitioning when the big gun's trigger quits working due to dummy rounds or empty mags.

I think I'm getting caught up in shooting the drills with speed and accuracy to much to look at the bigger picture of what skills I'm working on.

Feedback Score
    Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Work on technique. Speed will follow, but only under pressure.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Get professional training. It's worth it to do it right than floundering for years with inefficient technique.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UVvis View Post
    Thanks for the pointers Ndd. Putting a distracting something on the target should help.

Mark, transitioning when the big gun's trigger quits working due to dummy rounds or empty mags.

I think I'm getting caught up in shooting the drills with speed and accuracy to much to look at the bigger picture of what skills I'm working on.
    You need to think realistic about the transition situation... if you ever have to transition to your secondary during a critical stress incident then most likely you are going to be to close to worry about marksmanship skills... even for a seasoned shooter, At that point you will be shooting intuitivley, so first off try practicing shooting the target center mass 99% percent of the time. Once you have an intuitue base down with your secondary sighted and non sighted then you will beable to start balancing speed and precision.

And as for thinking about the transistion... Well you will see a lot of different opinions here, but if you are in a close critical stress incident and something dosent go bang do you think your going to think about your transition? At that point the primary is nothing more that an obsticle in the way of your secondary, get it the hell out of the way as fast as you can... and then do a clean draw. Dont worry about exesive bullshit movements...Like somone metioned above and my old saying is that time is life.

We know how to move fast... we may not be up to speed on shooting but we can shoot slower transition fast! and shoot slower... and speed up as perfect practice allows.
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Get professional training. It's worth it to do it right than floundering for years with inefficient technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat_Rogers View Post
    Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Work on technique. Speed will follow, but only under pressure.
    During my fifth class with Pat in July, I had a failure to fire at the three yard line. (Crappy SA ammunition.) Before "Oh, Shi'ite." came out of my mouth (I was quite surprised at the "Click"), I had rotated the carbine down and conducted the "Grip" step of the draw stroke. I completed the draw stroke and delivered an NSR to the chest. (In my mind this was real, not a drill.)

Why? Because that is what he trained me to do every year for the last four (except, maybe, the NSR; it probably should have been a failure drill) and between classes I practiced it, by the numbers, literally as my lips were moving, until I did it right. Then I practiced more.

The best part was the smile on his face when I ejected the cartridge and we discovered the problem. No moosecock! Were it real (not likely given my line of work) I might not be dead.

Truth: Good initial training and sustainment training are the key.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    No Moosecock is always nice.

Some of us in the Eloy class were practicing our transition drill on Day 1. /raises hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12