Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spike's Tactical .22LR upper and BDM full size mag report

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also recently aquired a Spike's upper and 6 of the skinny BDM mags.

Using .36 gr Federal bulk pack from Walmart, I currently have 750 rounds through the gun. I have had one light primer strike and one failure to eject.

At this point, I am quite happy with the upper. But we will see after a few thousand more rounds.
    Insights Training Center
    Tenicor

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I paid $450 for an upper, barrel, and a modified ciener kit.

They cut the barrel to a custom length. I had mine cut to 14.7 and then permanently installed an A2 FH on it.

The barrel sits about 2" further into the upper than a standard AR barrel. My gun has the look of a 12.7" gun without the paper work.
    Insights Training Center
    Tenicor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Anyone wanna buy a DPMS .22 upper?

What are the advantages of the Spike's Tactical upper over the DPMS .22LR upper?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Archangel View Post
    What are the advantages of the Spike's Tactical upper over the DPMS .22LR upper?
    1. Support
    DPMS no longer makes a .22LR upper - they've been in "redesign" for over a year. JAC continues to pump out kits, spare parts, etc.

2. Compatibility/Choice
    Spike uses a modified Ciener kit, so you have choices like the BDM skinny or full size mags, enhanced spring kits from Lakeside Guns, etc. No one but DPMS makes mags for the DPMS uppers, and all those are 10-rounders.

3. Customization

Spike and Angela will work with you to configure an upper exactly the way you want it.

4. Communication
    You can talk to Spike or Angela pretty much any time, via phone or email. Communication is top-notch.

I've had an M261, a DPMS dedicated .22LR M4 upper, and a Spike's dedicated upper. The Spike's is far and away my favorite (so far).
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies and again, what an awesome weapon!!! You did a great job putting that together.

Feedback Score
    That is a SWEET setup Caporider. We're glad you like it!!

PM me more pics and if you have videos we'll post them on the youtube site!!

Alot of you might have seen this, but for those of you who havent..

Here is Spike shooting his own 22LR upper with a black dog mag

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VFAuKZ0FZpU

Enjoy =)
    Spike's Tactical Sales Associate

"These are lessons learned when time is short and warning. We answered the call without hesitation and never gave to doubt any thought o'failure.
    They faced us with steel and we responded in kind. For there is no difference except for the belief"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I too recently acquired a Spike's Tactical .22LR M4-style upper with 16-inch barrel and several BDM full-sized magazines. It took about three weeks to receive my upper from the day I ordered it. Since then, in the span of about a week, I have put about a thousand rounds of assorted .22LR ammo through it without doing more than adding some lube once in a while. Although the magazine springs were a little stiff at first, after a few hundred rounds I had no trouble loading 25 rounds every time. Although lips-to-base about half an inch longer than a PMAG 30, BDM magazines fit in all the same magazine pouch shingles I use for said PMAGs. The BDM magazines are pretty sturdy, but I'm not tempted to drive a truck over them.

The only malfunctions I had were with Remington .22LR "Thunderbolt" rounds. For some reason, these so-called Thunderbolts did not want to feed all the way into the chamber -- they would sometimes get a little stuck, as though they were just a little too fat, so that the bolt would not completely go into battery. But no worries, for everything else -- the Winchester Super-X and the Wal-Mart Federal "550 Value Pack" ammo -- fed great, without any problems whatsoever.

The upper is also plenty accurate. From the magazine-monopod prone, with irons, without trying particularly hard, I found that I was able to shoot about 2 inch groups at about 50 meters with the Wal-Mart ammo.

Of course, there is no recoil to speak of. And the bolt doesn't lock back on an empty magazine like on a centerfire upper. But for certain kinds of training, such as reflexive or snapshot-type shooting, transition drills, &c., it is perfect. For field-expedient instant shooting gratification, you can also buy a bunch of cheap steel reactive portable popper type targets that are only designed to stop .22LR or lead handgun rounds, and shoot at those at distances that would be unsafe to shoot non-frangible 5.56mm or any kind of jacketed bullet at any kind of steel.

I highly recommend this upper. Besides its training value, it is a lot of splendid inexpensive fun. Once it pays for itself after another thousand or so rounds of .22LR, it will make shooting it practically free.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Here's the Spike's upper compared to my 12.5" 6.8SPC upper:

Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Does Spikes uppers use the barrel adapter from the Ceiner kit?
    FDCC
    Florida Defensive Carbine Club

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wow caporider, that is some serious dedication to put that much additional money into a .22!

I was thinking I'd put a Tacpoint on mine (once I get it) and possibly a YHM rail.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast