Thread: new build getting started

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

new build getting started

This is going to be my first full custom build. I have an order on the way from BCM,And some parts coming from members of this forum.

What I have so far, spikes pirate lower(I know I know, but my wife bought it for me. I came home one day and it was sitting wrapped on my chair. She was so excited about it that I couldn't bring myself to tell her it was not something I would have bought.but she is a great women) with a magpul UBR.

On the way from BCM-
    VLTOR MUR-1A,
    BCM 14.5" mid length assembly,
    BCM M16 BCG,
    BCM gun fighter charging handle Large latch,
    Magpul RSA,
    Magpul MS3,
    magpul BAD,
    DD front and rear buis,(coming from a member)
    Magpul miad,(coming from member)
    Magpul MOE trigger guard,(coming from member)
    Battle comp 1.5,(coming from member)

Things I still need- unfortunately everybody is out of stock, on everything I'm looking for.
    DD Lpk,(I have been really wanting a Wilson combat TTU, but haven't finished my research)
    Gear sector VFG,
    Aimpoint T-1 or M4/s,
    Troy ind 15" or 13" trx extreme battle rail(It's been hard to find one. That's what I really want, but am also considering a larue 13" or a DD 14")

Why these parts? Well for one, it's all top of the line stuff. I want to build my "dream" AR, and I want it to be high quality.2- because this is my "dream" AR I want it to look koool . So some of the parts are unnecessary, like the 15" rail,instead of a 10" rail, battle comp, instead of a flash hider, ect. So it may not be the most practical rifle but it will be what I want. And as long as It's reliable that's all that matters.

I will get pic's up, and a progress report going as soon as I get the parts in.
    Thanks
    Last edited by nobody knows; 02-28-12 at 00:12.

Feedback Score
    what lower would you have bought?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    http://axtsweapons.com/products/AX556
    this is the one I want, and it will be what I use for my nest build. I am digging the new 45 deg safety. I also like the black rain lower.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Sounds like it will be a decent build. Don't know about the long rail, never been a fan but to each his own. Post pics when it is finished.

I remember reading about that fully ambi lower while I was in iraq some months back. It looks nice and quite pricey but I couldn't find any hard test reviews on it. Completely forgot about it until you just posted it.
    Last edited by Endur; 02-28-12 at 01:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endur View Post
    Sounds like it will be a decent build. Don't know about the long rail, never been a fan but to each his own. Post pics when it is finished.

I have always liked the the look of the long rail. I don't know why I just do. And wen you say it sounds like it will be a descent build, can you expand on that? What do you think would take it from a decent build to a great build? Just curious it's not going to change my mind, and I'm not looking to build a rifle to get affirmation. But I'm always open to other opinions especially more experienced members. Thanks

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody knows View Post
    I have always liked the the look of the long rail. I don't know why I just do. And wen you say it sounds like it will be a descent build, can you expand on that? What do you think would take it from a decent build to a great build? Just curious it's not going to change my mind, and I'm not looking to build a rifle to get affirmation. But I'm always open to other opinions especially more experienced members. Thanks
    I meant decent as a good thing. I am not one of the more experienced people on here really just know the good brands from the bad from doing research for my build and just plain knowledge gaining. That and you are using some of the same stuff I am on my build.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endur View Post
    I meant decent as a good thing. I am not one of the more experienced people on here really just know the good brands from the bad from doing research for my build and just plain knowledge gaining. That and you are using some of the same stuff I am on my build.
    Okay I figured that's what you meant but wanted to check.
    And to me anyone
    That has built more then one rifle is more experienced then me lol. I have been researching parts for this build for quit awhile. Unfortunately I have had to substitute some parts with others of equal quality,because everything is out of stock at all my regular spots.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A 15" rail on a 14.5" barrel?
    You gain absolutely nothing by doing this.
    Sure the longer sight radius is there, but if the forend flexes at all your front sight is off.

The longest I would do is 12" and even still I would be hesitant.
    LaRue makes a gooseneck rail that would fit your intended purpose just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody knows View Post
    http://axtsweapons.com/products/AX556
    this is the one I want, and it will be what I use for my nest build. I am digging the new 45 deg safety. I also like the black rain lower.
    pretty sweet lower there. do they still make this one?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2412

Dont care about the ambi but the built in bad lever functionality is sweet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    A 15" rail on a 14.5" barrel?
    You gain absolutely nothing by doing this.
    Sure the longer sight radius is there, but if the forend flexes at all your front sight is off.

The longest I would do is 12" and even still I would be hesitant.
    LaRue makes a gooseneck rail that would fit your intended purpose just fine.
    I understand what your saying, but as I said in my first post the long rail is just as much for looks as it is for function. I have other more serious rifles, this is my fun gun. Of course if it turns out to be reliable,it could take the place of my HD gun until I get my paperwork filled out and turned in. Then I will build an sbr for that purpose.