Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FDE AR Build. My first.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Clean for a first man.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing your prior experience with the platform, and shooting in general, and what led you to choose the parts that you did. Also interested to hear what kind of groups you're getting to include number of shots, number of groups, ammo used, and distance.
    I basically started with handguns, eventually found I had a thing for 1911's. Reached a point where I can shoot all of the one's I own pretty well out to 15 yards. But didn't really want to modify them as they are all carry/defensive pistols; they have all been reliable and I didn't want to touch them in anyway other than maintenance.

This is my second AR, other is a Colt LE6920/stock; only mod is a sling. I got used to the iron sights and can put decent groups out to a hundred yards no prob. 30 rounds within ~5 inches. Felt the same way about it as the 1911's, it would be my go to in a defensive situation.

Got interested in the idea of precision and decided to build an AR as I understand how it works, etc...

Researched a few points such as trigger and barrel.

The trigger is the second thing I purchased after the stripped lower, followed by the LPK and stock.

Then the upper with barel after I understood the ideals of a barrel and how it works, such as the differences between the twist rates and length, etc...

Then I put it together based on my liking as far as looks. I figure after getting a good amount of experience with it I would understand what I did right and what I did not, etc... I will then make any fixes on my next build.

Only issue right now is weight.

As far as groups, I am the weak link, I need improvement and although I've had a few freak groups, they are not consistent. This is where i currently stand.

5 Shots:

10 Shots: would have had a great group if i stopped at 5

Quote Originally Posted by geistacwm View Post
    Clean for a first man.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by ColtJ; 06-05-11 at 14:01.

Feedback Score
    Nice smoke pole
    "The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Great post! thanks

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    This thread is the first time I have actually considered selling my 700 for a precision AR. Beautiful gun and stunning results. Keep up the good work and let's see those 10 shot groups tighten up! I'm jealous!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys.

Funny enough ive had my heart set on building a 700 for a while now, chances are once im satisfied with this project/build a 700 will be next.

Feedback Score
    How do you like that scope and what did it run? BTW, nice rig.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice rifle , Im lookin for the same lower

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytcrawler93 View Post
    How do you like that scope and what did it run? BTW, nice rig.
    I assume you mean the SWFA SS 3-9, it has been removed (original post has also been updated).

I like it a lot, very clear and easy to use, basically everything it was supposed to do/be. I picked it up from SWFA directly at their retail price.

I just needed a little more magnification and went with the the Vortex which has also performed as expected for what it is.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Great first build! Being a target shooter myself I think you did a perfect job of upper component selection. I am guessing those are factory or handloads not yet tailored to your barrel? Can't wait to see some fine adjustments and your addition of some serious magnification. Looks like you have one hell of a varmint killer : )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast