Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .458 SOCOM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

.458 SOCOM

Can someone explain the .458 SOCOM cartridge to me? I am not interested in using it, I am just interested/curious about it in general. What is it good for, if anything? What about performance/ballistics? I guess anything and everything there is to say about it, good or bad, I am interested in hearing.

I searched and couldn't really come up with anything anywhere else here on M4C.

-WTDeBerry-

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If you searched and didn't find anything, you likely didn't search very hard.

Lots 'o info on the interwebs.

You can start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458_SOCOM

Then read here: http://www.teppojutsu.com/458.htm

Then read here: http://458socomforums.com/

Then head over to beyond556.com and read there

Hope that might give you a bit more info on what you were looking for!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh, I did search the net and got a lot of information, I didn't find anything when searching these forums is what I meant.

What I was looking for here were first-person accounts from people who have used it - do they love it/hate it, like it/dislike it? Why do they? Not very many threads about it. Sorry for misunderstanding.

-WTDeBerry-

ps - Thanks for the links. I will definitely check those out, as well.
    Last edited by WTDeBerry; 04-08-11 at 15:24.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Check out the Big Bore section of this forum. A few guys over there have had quite extensive dealings with the SOCOM/Beowulf...

http://www.beyond556.com/bboard/foru...11-Big-Bore-AR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You seem as interested in it as I am..

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yeah, I am definitely interested. I am most certainly planning on owning one of these rifles someday.

I'll try to call RRA on monday and see what they say...

Feedback Score
    I've had one for going on 6 years or so now. It is an interesting round and it fun to play with. I've never had great experience with its feeding correctly with factory ammo or even reloads. You get a huge bullet which is best for its heavy weight - think .45-70 (lower power loads) in an AR package. I've got handloads from 300 grains up to factory loads of 600 grains. It is a lot of fun to hand to someone who is new to ARs after having shot a bunch of 5.56 because the recoil is much heavier than a 5.56.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I know the SOCOM that I ordered for a buddy from RRA came with 2 spare buffer springs.

It said to improve feeding/reliability. I didn't get much of a chance to play with it, as he came to get his new toy, but would that be part of your issues?

What flavor do you have? RRA? Teppo?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a custom 458 SOCOM I built with a Teppo Jutsu barrel. I had the barrel sitting here for a while and finally got around to putting it together last November, right before I broke my ankle.

I have taken it out twice to shoot it. It is great fun. I was using handloaded 405 gr Rem SP (big truncated cone flat point type bullet).

I had no problems feeding reliably UNLESS one pulled back on the charging handle and let go. Then it would get hung up. But if you had a locked back bolt and hit the bolt release, it worked every time.

I was using a PMAG -- I think it was a Rev M one.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I wasnt aware that the SOCOM worked with the P mags. Got a picture of the build?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast