Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .458 SOCOM

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here is a picture of yours truly at our recent M4C get together with it. I don't have any standalone pics. The 308 phantom on the end has been bored out for 45 caliber slugs and is being used more for looks and as a thread protector until I can afford a suppressor than any practical purpose.

• formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    I was using a PMAG -- I think it was a Rev M one.
    Looking at the pic I just posted, it does not look like a Rev M one. I had an assortment of Rev M and pre Rev M out that day and I guess I grabbed a non Rev M one when we played with the 458.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    That looks awesome, Chad!

I like the look of that SS tube. I think with a light bead-blast, it would look really great contrasted against a vortex or the like...

Feedback Score
    I have had excellent luck with the 458 both in regards to function and terminal performance.

Key seems to be use the Barnes 300gr TTSX (designed specifically for the cartridge) and Lancer L5 mags.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sorry to revive an older thread, but was looking to buy into a big-bore AR, and had a couple of questions about the .458 vs .50 Beowulf.

1.) Does either have any major drawbacks, referring to capacity, feeding/cycling, magazine compatability?

2.) Since inception, how cheap/plentiful are ammo options if I don't reload?

3.) Would it be best to plan on handloading ammo for either or both, or is there plenty of ammo available in the market today?

4.) Is the .50 Beowulf as "adaptable" as the .458 in terms of bullet types? I've seen the picture of the multiple bullet types/weights for the .458, does this exist in the .50?

Thanks for any helpful advice, just looking for first-hand experience with the rounds.

~Bobby
    Fact of life:

Although the EAGLE may soar proudly through the skies, it is very rare for the Weasel to be sucked into a jet engine.

Feedback Score
    The 458 has proven to be a lot more reliable and versatile than the 500 for us. For big hogs the 458 loaded with 300gr Barnes TSX just plain gets the job done in dramatic fashon!!!!

I strictly handload so don't know what factory ammo availability is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BWilson View Post
    The 458 has proven to be a lot more reliable and versatile than the 500 for us. For big hogs the 458 loaded with 300gr Barnes TSX just plain gets the job done in dramatic fashon!!!!

I strictly handload so don't know what factory ammo availability is.
    I've been debating between the 2. I know the thread is a little old but if you still can see it can you tell me a little bit more about what you stated? Is the 300 gr. Barnes a better fit performance wise vs. lets say a bigger 458 bullet? I hear they go up to 600 grains for the socom. Or do you view the 300 the perfect combination of speed and power? I'm just curious as I'm looking to this right now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ^^^ I'd like to hear your answer for this too.

Also, how are Teppo rifles/barrels? Better than RRA? I'd like to Jump into .458 but I'm a little iffy about rra and all I know about Teppo is they make .458s.
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Marty, the owner of teppo, has moved out of country for his work. So basically Teppo barrels are going to be a no go. I believe he licensed SBR to make them and I'm not sure if there are others. I know he said that he'd see about after SHOT, whatever that would mean or entail. Hopefully, it means more manufacturers' and more distribution.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you considered 450 Bushmaster? I have one and I'm very impressed. Ammo can be had for not much more than a buck a shot and if you handload you should be able to use cheap 230 grain round nose 45 pistol bullets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast