Thread: 458 SOCOM Barrel Offerings?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

458 SOCOM Barrel Offerings?

For the Beowulf boys, we have many offerings for the big 50, but what (other than RRA) can a guy do to obtain a 458 SOCOM barrel.

I'm assuming RRA isn't going to part with just a barrel, is this correct?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why don't you call them and let us know what they say? They sell 5.56 mm barrels. I am interested in having a 458 SOCOM barrel adapted to fit an LMT MRP.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Try asking here: http://458socomforums.com/

I used a custom barrel from Teppo Jutsu but I heard they are not doing them any more. But it doesn't hurt to ask there as this is where the 458 dudes hang.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yeah, I emailed Teppo right after I posted that (forgot they were around). I guess SBR might be taking over SOCOM barrel production soon from Teppo Jutsu, but I'm not sure.

I'll call RRA and see what they say as well...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Just got off the phone with RRA, and they said only complete uppers...thumbs down!

Go this email response from Marty:

Thank you for your note and your interest in our products such as the .458 SOCOM and .338 Spectre. Due to having accepted a new assignment that requires us to move overseas for an extended period of time, we are currently not taking any new orders and are working to complete all existing orders. We have formed a strategic alliance with Southern Ballistic Research (SBR) and they will be continuing our product line under our name during our absence. They will be producing the same great uppers and components, using the same top shelf components and workmanship, but should be able to produce more due to a dedicated facility and staff. We anticipate that they will be able to take orders starting the summer of 2011, if not sooner. Their website can be found here

http://www.sbrammunition.com/458rifle.html

Rock River Arms is also producing 16” .458 SOCOM uppers in a configuration similar to our “basic model” as well as some other versions and they are fully licensed and supported by us. Their wait time tends to be less and some of their dealers may even have uppers in stock. We are also telling folks to check the “for sale” areas on AR15.com, Gunbroker as well as our own forum for uppers that come up for sale from time to time.

Regarding fluting, we used to offer this option, however, the cost was approx. $125 for a barrel. It is still possible to have other shops do this on your barrel, so if you get a barrel from SBR, you may want to shop around for fluting services.
    On gas system length, we found that for 16” barrels, the carbine gas length is the most forgiving. You can use mid-length, but it will be more sensitive to the type of powder used. For building your own upper, you will need a barrel, a bolt and a properly modified upper receiver (the ejection port has to be enlarger to pass the larger shell),

We realize this is a disappointing answer, but some opportunities cannot be refused and we are confident that SBR will be able to meet all your needs and expectations.

We hope this answers your questions, let us know how else we might assist.

Looks like I'm going to have to get a complete upper from RRA or get a barrel through SBR (or others)....bummer....

Feedback Score
    yeah, i gotta buy a RR upper and junk it out, for the barrel and bolt.
    its on order, but they're 30-90 days out.
    boo hoo.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Rock Creek lists a .458 barrel:

http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/prod01.htm