Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slip 2000 ewl vs gunzilla for lube

Feedback Score

slip 2000 ewl vs gunzilla for lube

i've been using gunzilla for years and love it. i've used it during 2 high round count carbine courses with zero problems but i also used a good amount on the weapon. it's great for cleanig and as far as i can tell good for lubrication. i've heard great things about slip 2000 ewl and wanted some opinions by people who have used both for lube, people who have taken high round count courses i would like to hear your opinions . i'm really only looking at these two products, thanks in advance for your input .

Feedback Score
    Hello. Like you I have used the gunzilla for a few years and had been ok with it. I always thought it was a little thin for lubrication. But, it cleaned up my guns very good. Then I found out about the slip200 products. Their clp cleans as good as gunzilla. Leaves lubrication behind.
    Their ewl is like pourable grease. I can use it on rails and bolts. Then I am now using their grease along with the other two product. Thin layers on areas where metal rubs on metal. Gunk does not seem to stick to the stuff. Cleanup is a breeze.
    And it is suppose to be non toxic. So it will not wind up in my liver. It is suppose to go into the metal like seasoning a frying pan. I don't know about that though. Hope that helps.

John!

Feedback Score
    If you aren't familiar with "Filthy #14", google it or find it on the BCM site.

It's a BCM AR that's gone >40k rounds with Slip as the lube.

Good enough for me.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I use Gunzilla to clean, and EWL to lube. Gunzilla does a good job, and also doesn't make you high from the fumes. I can clean multiple weapons out and my wife doesn't comment on the stench.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score
    People are definitely free to buy whatever they want, and spend as much as they want. But for the life of me, I can't understand paying $7 for a 1.9oz bottle of lube, or even $10 for a 4 oz bottle. Most gun sources mention a grease/oil with molybdenum disulfide as an excellent gun grease. You can get a tube of Super Tech Moly Lithium grease as walmart. It has molybdenum disulfide in it; it costs $4.97 for a tube that will LITERALLY LAST YOUR ENTIRE LIFETIME. That will take care of all the metal-on-metal parts. Almost any decent gun grease will have molybdenum disulfide in it. Why pay more because it says "Gun/Firearm" somewhere on the label?

I then use a decent oil for the non metal-on-metal parts like triggers, springs, etc... I use CLP, remoil, etc... For these type of parts, as long as the oil doesn't attract dirt and grime and cake up the parts, it's fine. These oils can be had for about $5 and last a good long time.

I notice this a lot in the retail world. Go to a walmart type store, go to the electronics department, find a charger for your cell phone, and it's $19.97. Go instead to the automotive department, and you can find a car charger for your cell phone for $11.97. That's the same issue with lubricants. It's marketing and the label. Guns/Firearms are a niche market compared to automotive. Pretty much the exact same grease, except you spend $10 for a 3 oz tube of grease because it's for a gun, or you spend $5 for a 14 oz industrial tube that says automobile on it. Look up molybdenum disulfide is reference to guns and firearms lubricants. Then look it up again in reference to moly lithium grease like Super Tech.

Again; people are free to buy whatever they want, and spend however much they want. But you aren't getting a better lubricant because you bought it at a gun shop or online and it is in reference to guns.
    "Born Wild; Raised Proud"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I get what you are saying, but how many hundreds of dollars of ammo are you going to burn through before you use up that bottle of lube that cost a few bucks more?

In my experience slip is a better lube than rem oil or clp.
    Last edited by Toyoland66; 06-26-11 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    GunZilla to clean, EWL to lube.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Slip EWL for lube.....

Feedback Score
    If it was "Better", then a few dollars is worth it. If it isn't better at all, then it's just a waste of money. And whether you're wasting $10 more on a bottle of oil or $20 on a phone charger, or a $100 on something else, it's still a waste of money. I've seen/heard some people say that a particular brand is better; but I'm inclined to believe that they are just rationalizing spending the extra money. I've not seen any tests or evidence that shows the superiority of certain gun lubes.
    "Born Wild; Raised Proud"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    People are definitely free to buy whatever they want, and spend as much as they want. But for the life of me, I can't understand paying $7 for a 1.9oz bottle of lube, or even $10 for a 4 oz bottle. Most gun sources mention a grease/oil with molybdenum disulfide as an excellent gun grease. You can get a tube of Super Tech Moly Lithium grease as walmart. It has molybdenum disulfide in it; it costs $4.97 for a tube that will LITERALLY LAST YOUR ENTIRE LIFETIME. That will take care of all the metal-on-metal parts. Almost any decent gun grease will have molybdenum disulfide in it. Why pay more because it says "Gun/Firearm" somewhere on the label?

I then use a decent oil for the non metal-on-metal parts like triggers, springs, etc... I use CLP, remoil, etc... For these type of parts, as long as the oil doesn't attract dirt and grime and cake up the parts, it's fine. These oils can be had for about $5 and last a good long time.

I notice this a lot in the retail world. Go to a walmart type store, go to the electronics department, find a charger for your cell phone, and it's $19.97. Go instead to the automotive department, and you can find a car charger for your cell phone for $11.97. That's the same issue with lubricants. It's marketing and the label. Guns/Firearms are a niche market compared to automotive. Pretty much the exact same grease, except you spend $10 for a 3 oz tube of grease because it's for a gun, or you spend $5 for a 14 oz industrial tube that says automobile on it. Look up molybdenum disulfide is reference to guns and firearms lubricants. Then look it up again in reference to moly lithium grease like Super Tech.

Again; people are free to buy whatever they want, and spend however much they want. But you aren't getting a better lubricant because you bought it at a gun shop or online and it is in reference to guns.
    For all of the money that it takes to initiate and sustain the "AR Habit," I'm not getting too hung up over the cost of lubricant.

Maybe Wal-Mart does sell something that is scientifically equivalent to Slip 2000, but I'm not a chemist and I am inclined to stick to products that I have found to work and that are intended for use in firearms.

I just think we are really starting to split hairs when we start analyzing the cost/ounce of lube. There are a lot of guys who use Mobile 1 motor oil. I don't begrudge them at all so long as they are doing so because they find it to be a superior lubricant and not because you can buy a quart of it cheap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast