Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: So You Want To Buy A HK91/G3 Rifle...

Feedback Score
    If you plan on running optics primarily, get the one with the factory welded steel rail. My buddy has one & they do a great job at PTR installing them. Plus it will stiffen the receiver slightly which can't be a bad thing. No bolt-on/clamp-on rail will be as rigid as the welded rail.

They didn't offer factory installed rails back when I was buying PTR's so I welded my own rail on. First I stripped the powder coating off the receiver, bought the rail ($100), welded it on myself, then sent it out to have the receiver re-coated ($100). Long story short, just get the railed version for the extra $100 or so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTL BRN View Post
    A bit of a bump here, but I am seriously considering a PTR-91 at the moment and need a bit of advice.

I am debating between a GI model and adding the MFI claw mount, or pressing the easy button and purchasing the PTR with the rail already welded on the receiver. The price difference is nominal, so it comes down to a question of quality. The rail is welded directly at the PTR factory.

Thanks!
    Welded rail if you're looking to run optics. My MFIs work well, but the welded rail guns I have are just way easier no worries. There are some special run GIs out there that also have welded rails in that format.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    Welded rail if you're looking to run optics. My MFIs work well, but the welded rail guns I have are just way easier no worries. There are some special run GIs out there that also have welded rails in that format.
    When are you guys going to start making products for the HK platform? Some handguard, stock, & magazine choices would be nice. Especially magazines for the 93.

Feedback Score
    What kind of scope+rings are you guys running with the welded rails?

Can you use see-through rings to keep the iron sights operative? If so, what rings are quality made and allow the lowest scope position?

A decently low mounted 1-4x or 1-6X scope with see-thru rings would be great.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    What kind of scope+rings are you guys running with the welded rails?

Can you use see-through rings to keep the iron sights operative? If so, what rings are quality made and allow the lowest scope position?

A decently low mounted 1-4x or 1-6X scope with see-thru rings would be great.
    Larue LT123, although I still have some ARMS medium rings. With the arms mediums, you may have to open the notch of the 100 yard setting on the diopter sight. Depending on the optic, you still may have to clip the corners on the sight for the Larues.

For the ARMs, the highs work better at allowing a sight picture through the rings, but it's still usable with the mediums, and I like it lower.

You'll also need to play with a cheek riser. There are some commercial options out there, but since the sighting systems aren't on the same plane, you need a quickly changeable or removable cheek riser for best results. I either use a PRS2 or I make kydex saddles that rip off in about a second to get back down to proper iron sight height. If you use 123s or med ARMS, you can still use the irons with the cheekriser for the optic on, it's just not ideal.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Thanks SPQR476!

Do you have some pics of setups with these rings/mounts?

I would prefer no cheek riser and tolerate something close to a jaw weld if the scope is not too high.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Does this mean that current production PTRs are good-to-go, as they say?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Attachment 18257

first prototype cheek riser.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

Feedback Score
    I have 3 PTR's and they all run great.

Even the 2 model 32's I have run great.

I wish they would make a run of their top of the line rifle as I would buy it in a heart beat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Does this mean that current production PTRs are good-to-go, as they say?
    Yea, the current PTR's are good to go. The ones with tight chambers (extraction issues) are approx. serial # AW3000-AW8000. I have a few early ones which eat anything including the nasty tar sealed Venezuelan stuff . The early JLD PTR's run good. Reports of the newer ones are great as well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a current PTR. Not one of mine have ever performed less than 100%

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast