Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sport Utility Bolt Guns

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sport Utility Bolt Guns

Not really a precision gun, but pertinent to bolt actions: I've long been enamored of short, quick-handling compact bolt guns for sport and recreation. Their utility afield and flexibility have rung gongs, destroyed fruit and bowling pins, filled freezers, and otherwise served me well.

I've had economized scout-types, with chopped stocks and barrels, the Savage rendition of the scout concept, and more recently, Ruger's purpose-built M77 Compact. Most all in .308 Winchester. Some Frontiers are on the horizon as well.

A loss of velocity and energy with a bit more recoil and noise is a consequence of downsizing, but is not unmanageable. Muzzle flash from the short barrels can be profound.

I've found magnification between 2x and 6x to be most optimal. Fixed, preferably.

A mounted white-light is helpful.

The bolts also tend to draw less attention, scrutiny from range-dwellers. Less negative feedback at some venues, too.

Anyone else? What are you running, and what are you doing with it?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I was inspired enough to go search for my stubby little Ruger 77. It's one of their "ultralights" and has fixed sights. Along with a better scope, I should see what XS sights my have to retrofit the existing sights.
    Avatar = Comparison between standard and high capacity clips.

Feedback Score
    I LOVE....my Remington ADL Youth in .308. It is parkerized, an 18 inch barrel, a Trijicon 3x9 Accupoint, and back up irons. It is one of my favorites. If I could only have a few guns it would make my top ten.....maybe my top five.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Started out as a stock SPS in .308. Added the NECG front band, Holland quick discharge brake(barrel shortened) Ashley rear base with ghost ring and the Leupold PR 1.5-5 with quick release rings.

I was thinking of doing another with a forward mount and clip slot it.

Mark

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Mark:

Nicely done. How well does the brake work?
    Avatar = Comparison between standard and high capacity clips.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I love my Steyr Scout. I need a light on it though.

Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NICE stick Mark.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Randy Cain teaches a 3-day course using exactly the type of rifle you all are discussing, and I believe the Gunsite 270 is of a similar nature. Some say the idea being that the last guns we'll be allowed to own will be the bolt-action deer rifles. I'd like to take one or both of the classes one of these days, but since I don't even own the right kind of gun it's probably a ways off.

If memory serves, Randy likes the Winchester Model 70 Lightweight, and I believe there is some appreciable reason to prefer the older models. I also think the preference is .308 because of how common the round is and the potential to use milsurp ammo (albeit nowhere near as accurately) for training. I thought I had saved an email from Randy to his email list regarding this but I can't seem to find it now.

Feedback Score
    I understand Lever Actions are also permitted. Wonder if a good ol' Winchester 94 in .30-30 with or without a scope would fit the bill.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Mark:

Nicely done. How well does the brake work?
    Like a .223 if that! My 10 year old son shoots it with no issues.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast