Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M16 wood stock

Feedback Score

M16 wood stock

About 15 years ago I was working in a gun shop 20 miles south of Washington, D.C. in Northern Virginia. A guy came in one day with a wood stock and triangle hand guards for an M16. He claimed that some branch of the military was considering using them back in the mid-1960's, but they didn't go for it and he ended up with a set. He was asking $100 for them, and they didn't look like some handmade junk. Anybody ever heard/seen any of these?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I know brownells has a wood stock set for the m16 style rifle. If you havent done so you could check on there and see if they look the same. Might be a place to start anyway.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    apparently RRA is making or distributing wood furniture... http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=393

there's another company that's making much nicer (IMO) wood AR furniture... kind of a retro style like you describe, and i actually really like it on a retro AR... but i can't seem to find the website now. we've had at least two threads on it here on M4C- maybe try searching for 'ar15 wood furniture set'

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Ironwood Designs makes ar furniture too.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    I've seen the ones that have been made lately. I was wondering about a set from the 1960's.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dolf View Post
    I've seen the ones that have been made lately. I was wondering about a set from the 1960's.
    got a pic? i really dont think there were really any mass produced sets back then- probably just custom, limited examples/prototypes.

as far as the military considering going from synthetic to wood- i'm not an AR historian like some guys on this board, but i highly doubt that was ever a reality.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    AFIK, wood never made an appearance on the AR-15 or the M16 in an official capacity.

The earliest stocks were a type of bakelite.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    I would think it would be HEAVY.
    For those who fought for it. Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dolf View Post
    About 15 years ago I was working in a gun shop 20 miles south of Washington, D.C. in Northern Virginia. A guy came in one day with a wood stock and triangle hand guards for an M16. He claimed that some branch of the military was considering using them back in the mid-1960's, but they didn't go for it and he ended up with a set. He was asking $100 for them, and they didn't look like some handmade junk. Anybody ever heard/seen any of these?
    I have seen photos of an M16 captured from Central American rebels that had a set of very nicely done wood triangle handguards, stock, and pistol grip. IIRC, The stocks did not look like jungle workshop carvings. They looked professional but beat up from use.

I would love to know the origin myself.
    Last edited by Doc Glockster; 04-13-11 at 17:17.
    W.I. Thomas: "If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I wood think it wood be HEAVY.

There. Fixed it for you.

H
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."-Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    He was full of it. Never believe anything you hear in a gunshop, is like gun show Navy Seals. Tons of people and companies have made wood furniture for ARs though. There used to be adverts in American Rifleman for them. It's actually a lot less complicated than trying to make an M14 stock set.

The AR-10 furniture set was glass reinforced plastic over a foam core, that was the original brown furniture set. The front handguard was actually conical. This was in 1956. AR-15 is scaled down AR-10, I have a 1958 technical report on a very early one but photocopy is very very bad and I cant see pictures. It's described as "plastic" handguards though.

I cant imagine why they would go and commission wood handguards in the mid '60s. That is about the time they were taking the M14 out of service. That was after the whole product improvement program for the XM16 and they finally settled on the A1 design.
    Last edited by ZRH; 04-13-11 at 23:35.

Feedback Score

If this is what you are talking about the Wood Stock Set was made be Springfield Armory sometime in the 80's.
    Last edited by BRAAIJR; 04-14-11 at 00:19.

Feedback Score
    Yes, stories can get real tall in a gun shop. The guy claimed that the govt. wanted to try wood stocks out, so they made some prototypes, but it didn’t work out. It wasn’t the first “prototype” story that I heard. Lots of govt. stories float around the area here, but very few become true. It did look like the Springfield Armory set pictured above. Sometimes it’s good to be a skeptic. Thanks for all of the good information.

Feedback Score
    Both fiberglass and wood were used on the first 17 AR15s from Armalite.

Number 000004 had wooden handguards:

Retro Black Rifle

Proof of wooden handguards on 000004 6:06

As far as I know there were never any handguard made for any military though.
    Last edited by TexSquirrel; 04-14-11 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    In reed knight's personal collection :P

According to technical reports the first one the Air Force tested was 324.

Feedback Score
    I think Colt had a marine version SP1 with a nickel coating and wood furniture.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAAIJR View Post

If this is what you are talking about the Wood Stock Set was made be Springfield Armory sometime in the 80's.
    I had one of those ... it matched my Portugese AR10 with the aftermarket wood stock and hand guards ...

very pretty set ... wish I'd kept them , but , $$$ rules and out the shop they went !

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeredKabar View Post
    I think Colt had a marine version SP1 with a nickel coating and wood furniture.

ColtGuard finish ... no wood , though ...

Saw them in a Colt's catalog , but , never owned one ...

Feedback Score
    Here's my wooden set:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This old wood set is probably one sold by Springfield Armory in the 1980s.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast