Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new ESEE knives

Feedback Score

My new ESEE knives

I've been wanting to get some ESEE knives for a while now, and I finally took the plunge and bought myself a few. Here is the collection as it stands right now. ESEE-4S-CP, Izula ll, and the Izula. I'm probably going to pick up a 4P for camping and a 3MIL-S to keep in my car.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

ESEE collection

Nice group, I'd guess you shopped around for the best price. What'd you pay and get them from? Thinking of getting 1 or 2 myself. I know the Busee crowd would snicker but I intend to use them not collect 'em.
    (just tweaking the nose,I know they can be used).

Feedback Score
    Between the three I spent about $230. I bought them from http://www.the-knife-connection.com/ These are still brand new (pretty obvious) but they will be nice and beat up soon enough. The 4S-CP is going in my BOB so it will stay nice and pretty.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd forget the -3MIL, get rid of the Izula (keep the II) and get a -6...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    I'm on the fence with the 3MIL. I think it would be nice to keep in my car since is has the sharpened glass breaking pommel and its not huge like the 5. I originally was only going to get the Izula ll but the Izula just fits in my pocket better for EDC so I just got both. I want a 4P-OD to use while camping along with the Izula ll. The 6 would be nice and I'll probably get one eventually. The 4P-OD is definitely next though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very nice set of knives, and good choices. Don't worry about what the Busse crowd says or thinks. Busse knives are great and probably one of the best heavy-duty knives available for any price. However, ESEE knives are well made and are no slouches, they will stand up to hard use and have been proven many times over. I have a Junglas, and it's an awesome trail/wildnerness/chopping/hacking blade, basically good to stand in as a short all-purpose machete or large knife.

Next thing I'm looking at is whether to get an ESEE 5 or 6 for the B.O.B. The 6 is lighter, longer, and many would say it's more than thick/robust enough for a survival blade. However, the extra blade thickness and weight in the 5 MAY be worth it if you're reduced to a one-knife-for-all-purposes situation. In that situation, you'd want something that could pry, hack, chop, cut, and dig, even though it is not optimized to do ANY of those things better than its more optimized counterparts. Right now I'm leaning toward the 5, despite its hefty 0.25" blade and 16oz weight (not counting sheath).

Hope the ESEE's work great for you. Give us a follow-up post after you've gotten them dirty!

Feedback Score
    Thanks maximus83,

I think the 5 and 6 would both be great knives for a BOB. I personally would probably go with the 5 though. I think if necessary its capable of doing just about everything the 6 can and then some. The weight of it is what kind of drew me away but I might consider it for my BOB now. I think the 5P along with an Izula ll or maybe a 3S would make a pretty good combo.

I'll be sure to update once I get my knives nice and dirty. I'm hoping to get my 4P in a few weeks and then get out into the woods, weather permitting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it where me is get a 6 and a 3 plain edge(i hate serrations(sp) on any knife just my opinion) for the bob and get an 3 or 4 for general hiking car knife and keep the izula for edc. I have a junglas for chopping and trail clearing,although I do prefer a hawk for chopping and a golock for trail clearing. But this is a nice comprise. My only problem with esee or most any other knife company for that matter is blade thickness. Why on earth everything needs to 1/4" is beyond me. I have a custom made jk that has 9" blade that is only an 1/8" thick( my preferred thickness on all working knives) that can do anything you need to do with a knife,and better then those big thick beasts. Sorry about the off topic rant. Anyway good choice on esee they have a lifetime warrenty and will replace the knife even if it brakes while doing something foolish. But that is hardly the best reason for owning one. They re quality knives at an affordable price, and the guys that own the company are really good guy's that listen to customer feedback. And the best reason by fare is that they do their din and they do it well. Enjoy your knives. One other thing I'm not sure how muck experience you have with knives or how you tipicaly care for your knives, but if you spend a little money to get a strop and some compound to sharpen the knives after every use as well as once every two weeks they will serve you much better wen you need them as well as serve you longer.

Feedback Score

Cool

Nice set of ESEE knives. I bought the ESEE 5 for my Truck.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I love my ESEE 3 but wish the sheath had a decent belt attachment - the para cord belt loop is just plain retarded. Next on the list is a ESEE 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast