Thread: Any differences in Telescoping Stock Assembly parts?

Feedback Score

Any differences in Telescoping Stock Assembly parts?

What should I be aware of when shopping for stock assembly parts? I want a milspec tube, and I plan on staking the castle nut. I want a VLTOR EMOD stock, but I want to make sure their stock assembly parts are the best I can get (outside of the stock itself). Parts such as the extension tube, buffer, action spring, castle nut, locking ring, etc. I don't know what brand to get, and I don't know if there's any upgraded aftermarket parts either.

I don't know which buffer size to get. I plan on building a standard-weight 16" barrel upper with a mid-length free-float gas system. Mid-length seems to be the more durable/reliable way to go; correct me if I'm wrong. CAR and H-buffers seem to be the most popular. I will probably get an H-buffer unless something else will fit it better. When would an H2 or H3 be appropriate?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    for a middy CAR or H works fine. I use H buffers in my middys. Some people have run H2s in middys. H3s are mainly for carbines so ignore those. H2/H3 start to get near the borderline of cycling reliability so some play it safe and go with an H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you like the EMOD, get the full combo kit. It will have a CAR buffer, but that's not the end of the world. I run my middies just fine with a CAR buffer. hell, my 16" LMT works fine with all ammo so far with a CAR buffer. Shoot the gun first with the weakest ammo you're likely to use or the ammo you use most frequently, then decide what buffer weight you need.
    Last edited by spamsammich; 04-16-10 at 10:39.