Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Shear

Feedback Score

Bolt Shear

Ive been dealing with a whole bunch of M4's with sheared locking lugs on the bolt.

Every one of them the locking lug to the left of the extractor (looking at the bolt from the back side) sheared off. Round count was unknown, "Alot", "2 Ass loads" ect were the best guess. Most of the shooters had been visiting a guys range in TN, who likes TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS

My question is prompted since it was all the same lug that broke. Should I be worried that I have a batch of bad bolts?

the weapons in question are all M4A1's with stock FA BCG's without the Crane Extraction enhancement kit installed.
    Life is too short to deal with Blonde women, or carbine barrels over 10.5 inches

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeMacGillie
    Ive been dealing with a whole bunch of M4's with sheared locking lugs on the bolt.

Every one of them the locking lug to the left of the extractor (looking at the bolt from the back side) sheared off. Round count was unknown, "Alot", "2 Ass loads" ect were the best guess. Most of the shooters had been visiting a guys range in TN, who likes TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS

My question is prompted since it was all the same lug that broke. Should I be worried that I have a batch of bad bolts?

the weapons in question are all M4A1's with stock FA BCG's without the Crane Extraction enhancement kit installed.
    In my experience MP tested bolts seem to break the lugs, while non MP break usually in half at the cam pin hole. M4s and carbines in generally go through bolts much more often than full length (20") rifles. I've had some bolts last 3K rounds and some last nearly 20K rounds. I don't think you have a bad batch.

The Crane enhancement kits will help a little. The biggest things stressing the bolts are heat and pressure. Slowing down the cyclic rate (heavier buffer) will extend bolt life some.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    H3 or 9mm buffer, bro.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by generic
    H3 or 9mm buffer, bro.
    Aint gonna happen. Its not Stock..........
    Life is too short to deal with Blonde women, or carbine barrels over 10.5 inches

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Oh. Well, shit the bed.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think bolts are only rated for 1.5 assloads. That's the problem!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen
    I think bolts are only rated for 1.5 assloads. That's the problem!
    So that means your working on making a new bolt rated for 1.5+, 1.5+P and 1.5+P+ assloads right Ned?
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by LukeMacGillie

Did the bolts come from the gentleman who "likes TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS"?

Is he welcome to post here?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner

I don't see why not.

No matter where the bolts came from they are a high wear items and they break. Replace them with Colt, LMT or CMT MP'd bolts and have plenty of spares on hand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner

No, bolts are stock, direct from the prancing pony factory.

I have no info on your other questions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast